Skip to content

Tottenham are not Premier League title contenders, says Les Ferdinand

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Les Ferdinand doubts Tottenham's title credentials despite their recent gains on Liverpool

Tottenham are not title contenders despite having closed within five points of Premier League leaders Liverpool, according to former Spurs striker Les Ferdinand.

Mauricio Pochettino's injury-hit side have strung together three straight victories as Liverpool have stuttered to successive draws, while second-placed Manchester City slipped up with a defeat at Newcastle last week.

As a result of Liverpool's 1-1 draw at West Ham on Monday night, the top three are now separated by just five points with 13 games remaining, but Ferdinand remains unconvinced by his former side's title pedigree.

Heung-min Son celebrates his second-half winner with team-mates
Image: Heung-Min Son has scored in each of Tottenham's last two victories

"We were saying when they finished second a couple of years ago that they needed to add to that squad to be able to be serious contenders," said Ferdinand, who spent six seasons at White Hart Lane.

"They've not really done that and although they're getting results, I still don't see them as being title contenders at this moment in time."

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Mauricio Pochettino says his side deserve to be involved in the Premier League title race and have no doubts about their ability to challenge

Tottenham's resurgence in the title race has been made all the more impressive by the injury-enforced absences of Harry Kane and Dele Alli, but the pair are set to remain sidelined until the end of February.

Heung-Min Son has thrived in their absence, scoring crucial goals in narrow victories over Watford and Newcastle last week, but Ferdinand doubts whether Spurs' wounded squad can continue to defy the odds.

Also See:

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Highlights from Tottenham's 1-0 win over Newcastle in the Premier League

"I think Pochettino has done a fantastic job and a load of the players that he's got there have improved year in, year out," Ferdinand said.

"So they've probably looked at it and thought, 'let's not disrupt this.'"

"As much as they may need one or two players in there, they'll probably look to the summer to do that and change it a little bit."

Play Super 6
Play Super 6

Predict 6 correct scores for your chance to win £250K.