West Ham boss Slaven Bilic rules out Alexandre Lacazette deal as Jonathan Calleri heads in
By James Dale
Last Updated: 11/08/16 12:26pm
West Ham manager Slaven Bilic has confirmed the club will not try and sign Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette.
The French striker was on West Ham's shortlist of summer targets but the club saw several approaches for him rejected by Lyon.
And now Bilic has confirmed they have ended their pursuit of the 25-year-old, but Argentine striker Jonathan Calleri will be heading to the club.
Bilic said: "100 per cent we will not go for Lacazette. We will sign Calleri and he will be with us pretty soon depending on the work permit.
"He is a top striker and we have a good balance in the squad. We have a big couple of weeks in front of us with five big games."
West Ham signed left-back Arthur Masuaku from Olympiakos earlier this week, and Bilic was relieved to add strength in that position after Aaron Creswell was ruled out of action long term with a knee ligament injury.
'West Ham bid for Ghezzal'
Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas revealed West Ham have submitted a bid for winger Rachid Ghezzal.
"I said we would add five players to the squad," Bilic added. "We were expecting a few to come back from injury and it was planned to sign a left-back.
"We were lacking options there and we really wanted to do it. I spoke to the chairman and maybe we need one more player."
West Ham will open their Premier League season against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Monday night, live on Sky Sports.