Premier League: West Brom sponsor renews deal after 'quenelle' saga
Tuesday 15 July 2014 16:56, UK
A clothing manufacturer which threatened to end its sponsorship of West Brom following the Nicolas Anelka 'quenelle' controversy earlier this year has signed a new deal with the club.
Jack Wolfskin said ending its sponsorship arrangement with the Baggies was "one option" after the incident hit the headlines earlier his year.
Former France striker Anelka was alleged to have used the 'quenelle' gesture - widely considered to be anti-semitic - as part of his celebration of a goal against West Ham in December 2013.
Anelka received a five-game ban and was fined £80,000 following an independent regulatory commission hearing, following which Albion suspended the striker.
The 35-year-old - who said the gesture was not anti-Semitic but a show of support for his friend, controversial French comedian Dieudonne M'bala M'bala - was subsequently sacked for "gross misconduct" after an outburst on Twitter.
"We are delighted to extend our partnership to a second year," Albion's head of corporate sales Ian Wain said on the club's official website.
"These are exciting times as the club prepares for a fifth successive season of Barclays Premier League football and it is great to have an internationally-renowned brand such as Jack Wolfskin on board."
Jack Wolfskin chief marketing officer Elke Stein added: "We are delighted to continue our successful partnership with Albion which will continue to increase our brand recognition in the UK alongside our other club partnerships."