Chesterfield boss Dean Saunders plans showdown talks with out-of-contract trio
Sunday 17 May 2015 16:19, UK
Chesterfield’s new manager Dean Saunders plans to hold talks with out-of-contract trio Jimmy Ryan, Drew Talbot and Armand Gnanduillet in the hope he can convince them to stay at the club.
Saunders took over from previous boss Paul Cook last week after he opted to join League Two Portsmouth in the wake of their failure in the League One play-offs.
Saunders, who was relegated from League One as interim Crawley boss this season, wants to hear the intentions of Ryan, Talbot and Gnanduillet before offering them new contracts at the Proact Stadium.
Ryan has been superb for the club since he signed on a free transfer from Scunthorpe in 2013, but Talbot and Gnanduillet have struggled for a first-team place this term.
“They are away at the moment but I plan to speak to them as soon as possible," said Saunders on the club's website.
The new Spireites boss has also allowed youngsters Jack Broadbent and Charlie Dawes to leave after their deals expired.
Broadhead, 20, came through the club's academy and made just three appearances for the club this season whilst spending time on loan at several non-league clubs including Buxton and Frickley Athletic.
Chesterfield-born Dawes was signed from Sheffield Wednesday last summer but the 19-year-old striker made just a solitary appearance in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, with loans at Matlock and Stalybridge.
Chesterfield chief executive Chris Turner said: "I would like to wish both players all the best for the future."