Tuesday 11 October 2016 20:58, UK
Paolo Maldini has rejected an offer to be part of backroom staff at former club AC Milan.
Maldini, who spent his entire career with the Rossoneri, said he turned down the role of technical director because he would have had to share it with recently appointed sporting director Massimiliano Mirabelli.
The 48-year-old explained that if there had been a disagreement between the pair, Marco Fassone, who will become CEO following the club's takeover by Chinese investors, would have had the last word.
"I did not believe there was the basis for a winning team," Maldini said on his Facebook page.
"The last seasons of AC Milan, with a double CEO and overlapping roles, should teach a lesson."
The former Italy captain said that he would have been held responsible for the club's performance on the pitch in the eyes of the supporters, the press, and the shareholders but could have been excluded from executive decisions.
"I can't accept it (the job), I need to respect the values that have accompanied me for all my life, I need to respect the many supporters who in these years have identified with me because of passion, willingness and commitment."
Maldini came through the youth system at Milan and joined the first team in 1985, following in the footsteps of his father, former Italy coach Cesare Maldini.
The one-club man helped the club win seven Serie A titles and five Champions Leagues, staying loyal to the Serie A outfit until he retired in 2009 at the age of 41.
AC Milan, who are sixth in the standings, missed out on Europe for the third consecutive year last season and have not won a Serie A title in the last five years.
The club was taken over by a group of Chinese investors for 740 million euros (£674m) in September.
You can watch England's tour of Bangladesh, plus Premier League football and the British Masters on Sky Sports. Upgrade now and enjoy three months at half price!