Skip to content

Cisse drafted into France squad

Image: Cisse: Big hit at Pana

Djibril Cisse has been added to the France squad for Wednesday's friendly against Spain.

Panathinaikos striker gets recall after all as cover for Saha

Djibril Cisse has been added to the France squad for Wednesday's friendly against Spain in Paris. The Panathinaikos striker narrowly missed out on a recall last week to Louis Saha, but fitness concerns over the Everton striker led to coach Raymond Domenech calling up Cisse as well on Sunday. "We have a little doubt about Louis Saha, who will come to the training camp on Monday so that we can see how he is doing," Domenech told France 2. "That is why we asked Djibril to come as well." Saha, who has scored four goals in 18 international appearances, did not play in Everton's 2-1 defeat at Tottenham on Sunday and it is thought he has a sore thigh. The 31-year-old had been out of the international squad for over three years, with his last cap coming in a friendly against Greece in November 2006.

In form

Cisse, 28, was also hoping for a recall having hit 25 goals so far this season for Panathinaikos. The former Auxerre, Liverpool and Marseille striker last played for France in a friendly against Ecuador in May 2008 and has scored nine goals in 37 internationals. Both are eager to impress as they aim to secure a place in the France squad for this summer's World Cup in South Africa. Meanwhile, Domenech also revealed he believes the decision to name his successor prior to the World Cup could have a negative impact on his team. "Everything that comes from outside can disrupt, undermine and create weaknesses that could prove harmful during a long competition," he told French television station TF1.
Tension
"For one match, no - but for one month, with substitutes who won't play or who will only play a bit, it could be complicated and it could create tension. "But I've got nothing more to say about it, I'll deal with it when it happens." Jean-Pierre Escalettes, the president of the French Football Federation, has announced that the new coach will be named in late April or May, with Domenech having to name his provisional World Cup squad in May. Arsenal centre-back William Gallas and Chelsea midfielder Florent Malouda have already expressed reservations about naming Domenech's successor before the World Cup, which starts on 11th June. Domenech has divided opinion since his appointment in 2004, steering France to a surprise runners-up spot in the 2006 World Cup final before they crashed out in the group stage of Euro 2008. Les Bleus needed a controversial play-off winner to beat the Republic of Ireland and book their place in this year's World Cup, where they have been drawn in Group A alongside Mexico, Uruguay and hosts South Africa.