FIFA ethics committee wants two-year ban for Wolfgang Niersbach
Friday 20 May 2016 18:49, UK
Former German FA president Wolfgang Niersbach is facing a two-year ban from all football-related activity following a FIFA investigation.
The judging chamber of the FIFA ethics committee says it has received the final investigation file and opened formal proceedings against Niersbach.
Niersbach, who still sits on the world soccer body's Council as well as Europe's UEFA Executive Committee, resigned from the DFB presidency in November after he was unable to explain a 6.7m euro payment from the German World Cup organisers to FIFA.
The judging chamber says "the investigatory chamber recommends a sanction of a two-year ban from all football-related activity and a fine of 30,000 Swiss francs [£20,000]."
An investigation was opened in March against Niersbach for "possible failure to report" unethical conduct and conflicts of interest.
Niersbach, who denied any personal wrongdoing when resigning, said he would oppose the recommendations.
"The recommendations for sanctions by the investigatory chamber are inexplicable," he said.
He said he was being investigated now for failing to inform FIFA's ethics commission last year of the developments regarding the 2006 affair.
"As it is a question of honour and in order to protect my personal I will oppose this request with all possible legal means."