European Super League: 14 Premier League clubs 'unanimously and vigorously' reject plans for competition

Premier League CEO Richard Masters chaired a virtual meeting over European Super League proposals on Tuesday with the 14 Premier League clubs not involved in the breakaway competition

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Bryan Swanson reports the 14 Premier League clubs not involved in the European Super League held a meeting with CEO Richard Masters where they emphatically rejected the breakaway league plans

The 14 Premier League clubs not involved in the new European Super League have "unanimously and vigorously" rejected plans for the breakaway competition.

The Premier League met without Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham to discuss the newly-announced competition at a virtual meeting on Tuesday.

The two-and-a-half-hour meeting, chaired by Premier League CEO Richard Masters, explored ways to collectively respond to the proposals.

European Super League: The key questions

European Super League: The key questions

Six English teams are part of a breakaway European Super League, but what do we know so far?

A Premier League statement read: "The Premier League, alongside The FA, met with clubs today to discuss the immediate implications of the Super League proposal.

"The 14 clubs at the meeting unanimously and vigorously rejected the plans for the competition. The Premier League is considering all actions available to prevent it from progressing, as well as holding those Shareholders involved to account under its rules.

"The League will continue to work with key stakeholders including fan groups, Government, UEFA, The FA, EFL, PFA and LMA to protect the best interests of the game and call on those clubs involved in the proposed competition to cease their involvement immediately.

European Super League - latest key developments

  • The 14 Premier League clubs not involved in ESL met on Tuesday, and later released a statement saying they 'vigorously rejected plans' and were considering 'all actions available to prevent it'.
  • Everton released their own statement on Tuesday morning, slamming 'preposterous arrogance' of Big Six.
  • Pep Guardiola has called for more explanation from ESL chiefs: 'I would love the president of this committee to explain to the whole world why they took the decision.'
  • Real Madrid president Florentino Perez says ESL is to 'save football'.
  • FIFA president Gianni Infantino says football's global governing body 'strongly disapproves' of plans. UEFA president Alexander Ceferin calls on ESL clubs to 'come to their senses'.
  • Board member at Big Six PL club has warned that they will not 'back down' - but Sky Sports News understands splits emerging among breakaway sides.
  • Bayern Munich say they 'reject a Super League,' while PSG club president Nasser Al-Khelaifi says move 'driven by self-interest'.
  • Madrid court says UEFA, FIFA must not impose sanctions on clubs, players taking part in ESL until it fully considers case.

"The Premier League would like to thank supporters and all stakeholders for the support they have shown this week on this significant issue. The reaction proves just how much our open pyramid and football community means to people."

Also See:

    In a memo sent out to all 20 clubs before Tuesday's meeting, Masters wrote: "We do not and cannot support such a concept.

    "This venture cannot be launched without English clubs and we call upon any club contemplating associating themselves or joining this venture to walk away immediately before irreparable damage is done."

    Analysis: A strong message from the Premier League

    Sky Sports News' Bryan Swanson:

    "Tellingly, the Premier League have reminded the six clubs of the rules. They have specifically mentioned the rules in their statement, saying that the 14 clubs at the meeting unanimously and vigorously rejected the plans for the competition.

    "The Premier League is considering all actions available to prevent it from progressing, as well as holding those clubs involved to account under its rules. What we do know about the Premier League rules, is that there is one in particular that says that should a club, during a season, wish to join another competition, they have to seek the written permission of the Premier League board to do so.

    "Remember, this is still an unsanctioned competition. That is something the Premier League will be really mindful of. Make no mistake, this is a strong statement from the Premier League."

    Inside the meeting: Anger directed at owners and execs, not the clubs

    Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

    Kaveh Solhekol reports the anger of the 14 Premier League clubs not involved in the European Super League is directed towards the breakaway owners - not towards the clubs themselves

    Sky Sports News reporter Kaveh Solhekol has provided further details on how the Premier League meeting unfolded:

    "The meeting began with an update on the government position on the breakaway, which is that it will do everything to prevent it.

    "A senior executive at one of the six breakaway clubs had spoken to a senior executive at one of the other 14 Premier League clubs insisting the European Super League members do not want to leave the Premier League and "people haven't been listening to us". This was not well received by other attendees at the meeting.

    "The 14 Premier League clubs want the six breakaway teams to remain in the Premier League but have made it clear that certain people from the six clubs would not be welcome back in the division.

    "There is also concern that executives from the six clubs have been sitting on very important Premier League committees and they have been privy to commercially sensitive and confidential information which could be used by the European Super League.

    "The 14 do not want to end up in a prolonged court case, but believe that whatever happens, the Premier League needs a total reset."

    PM Boris Johnson says 'no action is off the table' in blocking plans for breakaway league

    Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

    Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said his government will work with football authorities to stop the European Super League going ahead 'as it has been proposed'

    Prime Minister Boris Johnson says the government is "exploring every possibility, including legislative options", to stop the proposed European Super League.

    Speaking after talks with officials from football's governing bodies, Johnson said "no action is off the table", in seeking to block the formation of the league.

    Fans' representatives also joined the call with Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden, which came as the backlash against the proposed European Super League continues.

    Win £250,000 on Wednesday!

    Win £250,000 on Wednesday!

    Do not miss your chance to land the £250,000 in Wednesday's Super 6 round. Play for free, entries by 6pm.

    Around Sky