Skip to content

Sepp Blatter: I cannot take sides in the FIFA presidential election

Sepp Blatter speaks during a press conference at the Extraordinary FIFA Executive Committee Meeting
Image: Blatter says he is not backing any of the candidates to succeed him as FIFA president

The election for a new FIFA president takes place next Friday and Sepp Blatter says he has spoken to the majority of the candidates.

However, the outgoing President, who is currently appealing against an eight-year ban from football, told French radio station RMC Sport that he is not supporting any candidate in particular.

And the 79-year-old also claimed that he had been approached by several national federations asking for advice on who to vote for but that he had declined to give his opinion.

"Four of the five candidates have talked with me," said Blatter. "I cannot take sides, it is not possible. 

"Several national federations have asked me to find out to whom they should vote. I told them to make their own conscience. 

"It will not be easy for the new president to initiate reforms that I announced. That is what I regret most. 

"Fifa was beheaded with the suspensions of myself, (former FIFA Secretary General) Jerome Valcke and (former UEFA president) Michel Platini on the same day, after a very rudimentary education and without having been heard by the court."

Sepp Blatter (left) and Michel Platini exchanging ideas in Zurich last May
Image: Blatter and Platini are fighting against their bans from football

Blatter and Platini were banned from football for eight years in December after the FIFA president was alleged to have made a 'disloyal payment' of £1.3m to his UEFA counterpart in 2011.

But Blatter is adamant himself and Platini have done nothing wrong and, if his appeal fails, he is expected to take his case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

"There was an oral agreement (regarding the payment), which is also a contract," said Blatter.

"It's in the Swiss law and the organization code of FIFA. A contract can be made orally. Platini is innocent, like me. There's nothing in there. 

"This is an accounting case, not an ethical matter. There was a contract existing and we must honour it. That's my philosophy."

Watch full coverage of the FIFA Presidential Election on 26 February on Sky Sports News HQ.