Skip to content

VALENCIA CONFIRM PELLEGRINO OFFERS

VALENCIA have confirmed that they have received offers for defender Mauricio Pellegrino, with Spanish sources suggesting that Manchester United, Internazionale and Real Madrid are battling for the signature of the Argentine international.

However, claims that Madrid were favourites to land the defender seem to be premature with coach Vicente del Bosque declaring that he is not looking to sign a new centre half at this moment in time.

"It's a pack of lies," he blasted.

"I haven't asked for a defender. How is it possible that people are saying this?"

"I have Ivan Campo on the bench and I'm going to sign another centre back? Let's be serious."

That would seem to leave just two interested parties in United and Inter, after one of Valencia's officials Manuel Llorente confirmed that there had been an interest in Pellegrino.

"In Pellegrino's case we have received offers, but Valencia does not expect to open any negotiations because he is not for sale," said Llorente on Tuesday.

The player himself refused to comment on speculation that he was to leave the Mestalla, but speculation is rife that he is about to leave.

Inter's Hector Cuper is eager to replace Old Trafford-bound Laurent Blanc, and not lose defensive cover, but United themselves want to make sure they are well covered at the back as they look to mount a serious Champions League campaign.

Madrid appear to be more focused on Lazio's Alessandro Nesta as long-term replacement for Fernando Hierro, who could leave the Santiago Bernabeu next summer when his contract expires.

"Hierro's departure will be one of the most noticeable events in the club's history and everybody's eyes will be on his successor," said Del Bosque.

"There are six or seven top defenders in Europe and Real should aim to have at least one of them."

Reports in Spain had suggested that Madrid originally wanted Nesta in December, but the player has now confirmed he will stay in Rome for the rest of the season, although the Azzurri star admits he does not know what will happen after that.

"Yes, this year I remain here [Rome] and this year I must think that Lazio is enough," said Nesta.

However, the Italian international would not be drawn on where he would be playing next season.

"Next year I do not know," he said. "I do not know how this will finish, how it will be. We will see.

"I have contract and must respect it until it finishes. This year I have remained because they wanted me, but the next one I do not know, we will see."

Nesta did, however, admit to his love for the Spanish capital, saying: "Madrid is precious, everything is pretty there, the public, the team, the stadium, the city, everything is pretty.

"To play with Raul, Figo, Zidane? That would be incredible, yes, but I have said that I am with Lazio in Rome.

"I am content, and this year I remain happy at Lazio. For now I do not want to talk about the transfer market anymore because I have made a decision  for this season and that is enough.

"I do not know what will happen in the future. I have already said that if had to play abroad, it would surely be to to play in Spain because it is so similar to Italy, but at this moment my answer is still no."