Skip to content

Zenden: Boro are first option

Boudewijn Zenden's father and agent - Pierre - has confirmed to skysports.com that Middlesbrough have first option on his son, but admitted there was interest from elsewhere.

Zenden spent last season on loan at Middlesbrough and became a firm fans' favourite, after scoring the eventual winner in the Carling Cup final.

Boro are now looking to tie up a deal for the 27-year-old, who is available from Chelsea, and they will hold talks in Amsterdam with Pierre Zenden on Thursday.

"I have a meeting with Middlesbrough, if their offer is good then it is likely that it will be taken," Zenden told skysports.com.

"Steve McClaren met with Boudewijn in the South of France over the summer and told him he wanted him and that gave him a good feeling.

"The most important thing for Boudewijn is sport, he is not driven by money. Obviously it needs to be a good deal, but playing is the most important thing."

Zenden Senior confirmed that there had been a lot of interest in his son, who is still on holiday following his participation in Euro 2004.

"The top clubs in France want him, they have just called me," he admitted.

"There are several clubs from England also, but it is only fair to speak to Middlesbrough first and, if they produce the right offer, that will be where he goes."

He also added that Boro's signing of fellow countrymen Michael Reiziger and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, who added to George Boateng take the Teessiders' Dutch contingent to three - was pleasing.

"That is a good thing, but more important than them being Dutch, they are good players - it shows their ambition," said Zenden.

"I think players like Michael and Jimmy will just get better and better, and that is good for the team."