Skip to content

Sou looking for Klu fight

Graeme Souness has challenged Patrick Kluivert to prove his critics wrong.

Newcastle boss Graeme Souness has thrown down the gauntlet to Patrick Kluivert, urging the Dutch striker to prove his doubters wrong.

The Magpies picked up Kluivert in a cut-price deal from Barcelona in the summer - with many in Spain suggesting he was a spent force.

Kluivert also receives little respite on home soil, with Oranje manager Marco van Basten suggesting he needs to improve if he is to force his way back into the national picture.

The Dutchman did his cause no harm with a sublime goal in the win over Crystal Palace on Saturday, but Souness feels Kluivert is just scratching the surface of his talent.

"Patrick now is match fit," said Souness. "I always said the best of Patrick would be seen after he plays six games back to back; we are approaching that now.

"He is one of the best centre forwards in the world."

Kluivert has been dogged by controversy throughout his career, with many claiming a surly attitude does not aid his cause.

Souness, though, says he has only witnessed a positive side of the Dutchman.

"So far, for me, he has been easy to manage," added the Scot. "The time to judge him will be at the end of the season, if we can keep his determination and concentration where it is now.

"He is 28, he has worked and played alongside some great people; it now has to come from him.

"He has the potential to be anything he wants.

"I am interested in the Kluivert who wants to prove to people in Spain and in Holland that they were wrong about him, that he is still the main man in Dutch football.

"That is a challenge for him in view of how Ruud van Nistelrooy is at United.

"In terms of raw ability, he can be up with anybody, but football is not all about that."

Sochaux 11/8 Draw 21/10 Newcastle 13/8
Click here for full odds with Sky Bet