Skip to content

Makaay open to Bayern stay

Roy Makaay has confirmed that he is ready to open talks with Bayern Munich.

Bayern Munich's in-form striker Roy Makaay has confirmed that he is ready to open talks with the Bundesliga champions about extending his contract.

The Dutch international has been a massive hit since joining Bayern from Deportivo La Coruna in 2003 and, given his impressive return of 51 goals in 68 Bundesliga games, club chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge is desperate to pin down the former Vitesse Arnhem star on a long-term contract.

"We are looking to talk to him in the near future in order to extend his spell by two more years," Rummenigge had said last week and the 30-year-old striker has now responded to the comments.

"I have often stressed that my family and I are feeling very happy in Munich and Mr. Rummenigge is welcome to give my adviser a ring and I am sure that we'll find a good solution," Makaay, whose present deal runs until 2007, told Kicker.

The striker will miss Saturday's Bavarian derby at Nurnberg after suffering a knee injury while training with the Dutch national team last week and faces a race against time to be fit for Bayern's UEFA Champions League trip to Rapid Vienna next week.