Skip to content

Rafa expects Torres return

Image: Torres: Set for return

Rafa Benitez is confident Fernando Torres will make his comeback from injury against West Brom.

Liverpool boss hopeful striker will play against West Brom

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is confident Fernando Torres will make his comeback from injury against West Bromwich Albion this weekend. Torres had been expected to make his return from a hamstring problem against his former club Atletico Madrid on Tuesday, but decided against risking a setback. The striker sustained the injury during international duty with Spain last month and has since missed six games for the Reds. However, Benitez is hopeful the prolific frontman will be at his disposal when they host the Baggies in the Premier League on Saturday. He said: "I believe Torres will be ready for the West Brom game at the weekend. "It all depends on Fernando, he was not happy with his fitness so he did not play against Atletico.

Skipper

"He said he was not confident, so you cannot take any risks with a hamstring injury. "I will talk to the player during the rest of the week to see how he is after each training session. But I will also talk with the physio and the doctor for their view. But how Fernando feels will be the key." Captain Steven Gerrard added: "Hopefully Fernando will be ready come the weekend, we have missed him. He has been training all week and things look hopeful. "We need to take three points against West Brom, but (Saturday's 2-1 reverse to Tottenham) has been our only defeat this season and we are more than happy with the way the season has gone so far."