Skip to content

John Stones wanted by several top clubs, says Jonathan Northcroft on Sunday Supplement

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Jonathan Northcroft says the £50m price tag on John Stones is not putting off some of the biggest clubs in the world

At least six of Europe's top clubs are interested in buying Everton defender John Stones, according to Jonathan Northcroft on Sunday Supplement.

The 21-year-old, who has been in impressive form for the Toffees this season, remained at the club in the summer despite interest from Premier League champions Chelsea.

But the Sunday Times' Northcroft believes Everton will struggle to keep the England centre-back at the club if Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea or Manchester City come calling, with Manchester United and Bayern Munich also 'interested'.

Leighton Baines and John Stones of Everton celebrate after the Capital One Cup Semi Final First Leg match between Everton
Image: Stones has been in superb form for Everton this season

He said on Sunday Supplement: "It's an unprecedented situation for an English player to be at the centre of quite so many of the world's top clubs' attention.

"He's on Real Madrid's shopping list; though whether they'll be allowed to do transfers in the summer remains to be seen. But he's on their list of targets alongside Robert Lewandowski and David Alaba.

"Barcelona like him, Chelsea have been into him for quite a while now, and Manchester City, who are preparing for Pep Guardiola's arrival, are also making their move for Stones as well. Manchester United and Bayern Munich are in the background as well.

LONDON, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 24:  John Stones of Everton looks on during the Barclays Premier League match between Arsenal and Everton
Image: The England defender was the subject of bids from Chelsea in the summer

"It's an extraordinary array of choices for a 21-year-old lad. It's going to be very difficult for them [to keep him].

Also See:

"To deny him a move for a second time would be difficult for Stones to take, and maybe some of the other young players in the dressing room."

Everton have underachieved under Roberto Martinez so far this term following an 11th-placed finish last term.

And Northcroft believes that Everton would rather see Stones move to a foreign club than see Premier League rivals strengthened by his signing.

Everton defender John Stones and manager Roberto Martinez
Image: Northcroft believes Everton will struggle to keep Stones this summer

He said: "I can see Everton's problem, they are trying to build something and they have developed him. But practically speaking it is very hard to keep denying players big moves.

"I think from Everton's point of view they'd rather he went abroad; if he went to Barcelona to play with Messi I think the fans would understand that. If he went to Chelsea or Manchester United, maybe less so.

"I don't think Everton have moved on enough as a team this year for John Stones to think his career is best served at Goodison. It was up to Martinez - having kept Ross Barkley, Stones and Romelu Lukaku - to push on."