Manchester United have cooled their interest in Benfica's Swedish centre-back Victor Lindelof, Sky sources understand.
One source has told Sky Sports News HQ the interest in Lindelof has cooled due to the upturn in United's form and the return to fitness of their central defenders.
However, sources in Portugal believe a potential £38m deal to take him to Old Trafford is still on the table. Lindelof was left out of the Benfica squad for the Taca de Liga win over Pacos de Ferreira on Thursday.
Sky sources revealed in November that United had made Lindelof - a 22-year-old Sweden international - their priority target for the January window after a poor run of results.
Initial discussions over the transfer were then held between the clubs in December, but United's recent results and the form of Marcos Rojo and Phil Jones, as well as the return from injury of Eric Bailly, has led Jose Mourinho to reconsider the move for Lindelof.
Benfica boss Rui Vitoria insisted that Lindelof's absence on Thursday was not due to an impending transfer.
He said: "He will be training with us (on Friday). He sat out of the 18 as did others. Leaving out Lindelof was my choice. We have five quality centre-backs.
"The president knows what to do with the fortunes of the club. There is no player who is not committed to Benfica."
Lindelof's representative Hasan Cetinkaya confirmed last month that "there is an offer on the table" for his client, but would not be drawn on specific clubs.