Skip to content
Full Time After Extra Time This is a live match. Extra Time Half Time

Rangers vs Falkirk. Scottish Championship.

Ibrox StadiumAttendance45,135.

Rangers 3

  • D Shiels (3rd minute)
  • J Tavernier (81st minute)
  • L Wallace (92nd minute)

Falkirk 1

  • W Vaulks (17th minute)

Scottish Championship: Rangers leave it late against Falkirk

Rangers celebrate opening the scoring in the Scottish Championship against Falkirk
Image: Rangers celebrate opening the scoring against Falkirk at Ibrox

Rangers maintained their 100% start to the season as late goals from James Tavernier and Lee Wallace sealed a hard-fought 3-1 home win over Falkirk.

Rejuvenated Rangers had won eight league games in a row under Mark Warburton and went ahead early through Dean Shiels. Falkirk, also unbeaten before the game, levelled through Will Vaulks but Tavernier's exquisite free-kick and Wallace's last-minute thunderbolt were enough to win the day.

Shiels (3) put the home side head while many of the patrons were still taking their seats, and it was a well-worked goal. Shiels played in Martyn Waghorn who returned the favour with a lovely flicked pass for his strike partner to slot beyond Danny Rogers. 

The home side continued to force the pace with Waghorn and Tavernier prominent, but the wind was taken out of their sails with a goal out of nothing.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Rangers maintained their 100% start to the season with a hard-fought 3-1 victory over Falkirk at Ibrox

Peter Grant's corner was headed clear, but only as far as Vaulks (17) lurking on the edge of the area, and he returned it with interest giving goalkeeper Wes Foderingham no chance.

Tavernier was soon threatening again, firing over after good work by Nathan Oduwa, and Andy Halliday also failed to hit the target having been set up by Barrie McKay.

Rangers were enjoying plenty of joy down the flanks and it was the energetic Wallace who set up the next chance, cutting the ball back for Jason Holt, whose first-time effort was tipped over by Rogers.

Also See:

Thirteen-goal Waghorn created space for a shot as the pressure mounted on the Falkirk goal, but he dragged his shot wide from 12 yards while Rob Kiernan headed over before the break. 

Rangers' Lee Wallace celebrates his goal during the Ladbrokes Scottish Championship match against Raith
Image: Lee Wallace (centre) capped fine display with third goal against Falkirk

Halliday had to be alert to snuff out a dangerous Falkirk counter but Rogers was soon called upon to keep out Waghorn's cheeky chip.

The home defence could not afford to relax and Blair Alston fired over from 16 yards before Oduwa made way for Kenny Miller with 30 minutes remaining.

The veteran striker was soon in the thick of it as he set up Shiels who worked Rogers from the angle but Falkirk continued to carry their own threat, Foderingham having to react sharply to keep out Tom Taiwo's shot.

Rogers continued to be the busier keeper, however, but there was nothing he could do when Nicky Law was felled on the edge of the box and Tavernier curled in a pearler from 20 yards.

Vaulks saw his effort deflected over in a frantic finish which also saw Miller have a shot cleared off the line before Wallace capped a fine individual display with a long-range rocket in added time. 

Rangers have now beaten all nine Championship rivals and sit nine points clear of Raith Rovers, who were 2-1 winners over Morton.

Around Sky