Skip to content
Full Time After Extra Time This is a live match. Extra Time Half Time

Rangers vs Morton. Scottish Championship.

Ibrox StadiumAttendance41,816.

Rangers 2

  • K Miller (2nd minute)
  • M Waghorn (84th minute)

Morton 2

  • J Tavernier (31st minute own goal)
  • S McCluskey (82nd minute)

Scottish Championship: Leaders Rangers held at home by Morton.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Scottish Championship leaders Rangers drew 2-2 with in-form Morton at Ibrox

Rangers failed to win at home for the first time this season, as in-form Morton recovered from an early setback to draw 2-2 with the Scottish Championship leaders at Ibrox.

Although the hosts needed just 80 seconds to open the scoring, they were indebted to Martyn Waghorn's 84th-minute equaliser to earn them a point and spare their blushes.

There was a minute's silence before kick-off, when the stadium united in respect to Arnold Peralta, the former Rangers midfielder who was shot dead in Honduras last week.

Kenny Miller heads Rangers in front after just 80 seconds
Image: Kenny Miller heads Rangers in front after just 80 seconds

The league pacesetters had wasted little time in taking the lead, with evergreen Kenny Miller nodding home James Tavernier's free-kick with barely a minute on the clock.

And as Rangers chased a second, Tavernier flashed a shot over, Miller had an effort saved and Rob Kiernan was too high with a header.

Also See:

However, with half-an-hour gone, Morton were level against the run of play thanks to an own goal from Tavernier who tried to use his knees to cushion a cross back to his keeper - but only succeeded in knocking the ball into his own net.

James Tavernier (far left) puts through his own net as Morton draw level at Ibrox
Image: James Tavernier (far left) puts through his own net as Morton draw level at Ibrox

Denny Johnstone went close to adding a second Morton goal on 40, while Miller had a six-yard shot blocked as dominant Rangers could only reach half-time on level terms.

Rangers continued to control matters in the second half although Morton, who went into this game on the back of 13 from 15 points, were more of a threat.

Waghorn missed a handful of efforts before the hour mark, while Ross Forbes and Johnstone went close for the visitors.

Yet nine minutes from time, Morton took a shock lead as Stefan McCluskey found the bottom right-hand corner of the net from just outside the box, after breaking clear of the home defence.

But before the Greenock club could start to celebrate what would have been their first league win at Ibrox in 34 years, Rangers were back on level terms through Waghorn who collected Lee Wallace's measured assist before clinically dispatching the ball past visiting keeper Grant Adam.

Waghorn headed over in injury time but, despite dropping two home points, Rangers remain three clear of nearest challengers Hibernian who themselves could only draw 1-1 with Falkirk at Easter Road.

Around Sky