Chelsea vs Sheffield United preview
Watch match highlights from 5.15pm on skysports.com and Sky Sports app
Last Updated: 30/08/19 1:52pm
Team news, stats and prediction ahead of Chelsea vs Sheffield United in the Premier League.
N'Golo Kante is still injured for Chelsea after missing last weekend's win at Norwich, with Pedro also sidelined. Antonio Rudiger is continuing his recovery from injury but will not be ready to play, instead continuing his rehabilitation with a run-out for the Blues' U23 side on Friday night.
Sheffield United's record signing Oli McBurnie could be handed his first Premier League start. The forward scored his first goal for the club in the defeat to Leicester last weekend and could be rewarded with a place in the team at Stamford Bridge, having been withdrawn at half-time during the EFL Cup win against Blackburn in midweek.
Manager Chris Wilder made 10 alterations for that second round tie and wholesale changes are expected again.
How to watch
Follow the action with our dedicated live blog. Highlights of the game will be published at 5.15pm on the Sky Sports website and app plus the Sky Sports Football YouTube channel.
- Chelsea and Sheffield United last faced off in the Premier League in the 2006-07 season, with the Blues winning both contests without conceding a goal.
- Sheffield United are looking for their first away win against Chelsea since October 1992, when they won their first Premier League visit there 2-1 with goals from Adrian Littlejohn and Brian Deane.
- On the day of this game, it will be 96 years and 328 days since Sheffield United kept an away clean sheet against Chelsea, a 0-0 draw in October 1922; the Blades have conceded in all 30 games since.
- All four of Chelsea's Premier League goals in 2019-20 have been scored by Englishmen; the highest such 100 per cent record in the competition this season (Mount x2, Abraham x2).
- Since a 2-3 loss at Chelsea on the final day of the 1993-94 season, Sheffield United have failed to score more than once in their last 20 Premier League away games, netting just nine goals in that run.
- Chelsea's Mason Mount is looking to score in three consecutive appearances for the first time in English league football. However, Mount found the net in three consecutive Dutch league games (inc. play-offs) back in May 2018 for Vitesse.
- Chelsea's Tammy Abraham has scored more goals than any other English player in the top two tiers since the start of last season (inc. play-offs), with his brace against Norwich last time out taking his total to 28.
Charlie Nicholas' prediction
Frank Lampard badly needed the win at Norwich, and Chelsea played well going forward - they know they have frailties at the back. Pedro looks to be relishing working with Lampard. Tammy Abraham had a lot of pressure on him but he is up and running so has done well. Lampard wants Mason Mount to play up with the strikers and he has identified this, he is so gifted and talented.
It has been a good start for Sheffield United, so they may be ready to say it is about being dogged, not just having energy. There is a feeling within Chelsea at the moment that the fans will demand a win and Lampard will demand a performance, which they will get, but not without its difficulties.
CHARLIE PREDICTS: 3-1 (10/1 with Sky Bet)