Hamilton vs Rangers preview: Allan McGregor returns from suspension
Last Updated: 24/02/19 2:41pm
Goalkeeper Allan McGregor will return from suspension as Rangers travel to Hamilton in the Scottish Premiership on Sunday (kick-off 12.15pm).
McGregor had missed the last two Rangers games after receiving a violent conduct charge for kicking out at Aberdeen's Lewis Ferguson earlier this month.
He is likely to go back into the side, although striker Alfredo Morelos will serve the last game of his suspension, with Steven Gerrard wanting all of his squad to have a winning mentality heading into the weekend's game.
He said: "It doesn't matter who is selected to play, our full squad have to have the same mentality going into every game. We want all of our best players fit and available.
"Hamilton are playing more of a back four, they previously played with a back five but from our point of view the focus has to be on us to have the same hunger to go and get three points."
Hamilton are five points clear of St Mirren - who currently sit in the relegation spot - and manager Brian Rice wants his side to give Rangers a good test.
He said: "I'm focusing on my team. I want us to be positive and that has to come from me and the coaching staff on the training field. I want the players to enjoy themselves. When you're doing that you work hard.
"I'm not the sort of coach who wants to sit in and stifle teams, even if they have got better players than us. We're at home, we want to be on the front foot.
"We know at times we're going to be pegged back and have to defend everything that Rangers throw at us. But why can't we do that to them?"
Elsewhere for Rangers, long-term absentees Jamie Murphy and Graham Dorrans (both knee) are continuing their rehab work.
- Hamilton have won just one of their 17 Scottish Premiership games against Rangers (D1 L15), a 2-0 victory at Ibrox in November 2017 over Graeme Murty's Rangers side.
- Rangers have won all nine of their Scottish Premiership away games against Hamilton by an aggregate score of 23-8.
- Hamilton, 2-1 winners over St. Johnstone in their last home league game, haven't won back-to-back league matches on home soil since March 2018.
- Rangers have won seven of their last eight league games played on a Sunday, drawing the other at Dundee in December 2018.
- James Tavernier has provided more assists (nine) than any other player in this season's Scottish Premiership and has been directly involved in four of Rangers' last eight league goals (three goals, one assist).