Skip to content

Riot police protect referee from Gremio players after VAR penalty decision in River Plate win

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Riot police are forced to protect referee Andres Cunha after River Plate beat Gremio in a Copa Libertadores semi-final following a late VAR penalty award.

A South American referee was given riot-police protection after he awarded a late penalty by VAR as River Plate beat Gremio to reach the Copa Libertadores final.

Uruguayan official Andres Cunha pointed to the spot in the 86th minute after consulting the video assistant referee, with the penalty converted nine minutes later in the fifth of 14 added minutes.

 Referee Andres Cunha shows the yellow card to Matheus Bressan of Gremio after checking the Video Referee Assistant (VAR) during the match against Gremio as part of Copa Conmebol Libertadores 2018 at Arena do Gremio on October 30, 2018
Image: Referee Cunha awarded a penalty by VAR in the 86th minute which saw River Plate convert to win

Gremio's players were further incensed by Cunha giving their defender Bressan a second yellow card for the challenge which led to the penalty.

Argentinian side River Plate held on to win the second leg 2-1 and progress to the final on the away goals rule after losing the first leg at home 1-0.

Riot police protect Uruguayan referee Andres Cunha as Brazil's Gremio footballers argue with him after losing their 2018 Copa Libertadores football match against Argentina's River Plate at Gremio Arena, in Porto Alegre, Brazil, on October 30, 2018.
Image: River Plate celebrate reaching the Copa Libertadores final as riot police shield the referee from Gremio's players

Incredible scenes followed after the game as riot police had to protect Cunha and his officials from the outraged Gremio players.

Also See:

Click play on the video above to watch the dramatic events in Brazil.

Play Super 6
Play Super 6

Predict 6 correct scores for your chance to win £250K.

Around Sky