Casemiro was sent off after 34 minutes against Southampton for a challenge on Carlos Alcaraz; Anthony Taylor originally gave a yellow but upgraded his decision after a VAR check; Casemiro now faces missing three Premier League games and Man Utd's FA Cup last-eight clash against Fulham
Monday 13 March 2023 15:00, UK
Manchester United midfielder Casemiro is facing a four-game ban after receiving a straight red card during Sunday's goalless draw with Southampton.
The Brazilian was originally given a yellow card by referee Anthony Taylor for a first-half challenge on Southampton midfielder Carlos Alcaraz, but it was upgraded to a red after VAR Andre Marriner advised Taylor to watch the monitor.
Casemiro was visibly upset as he left the Old Trafford pitch and now faces missing Man Utd's next four games as it is his second red card of the season, having been sent off against Crystal Palace earlier in the campaign.
Erik ten Hag's side face losing the 31-year-old for the following games:
Casimero will next be available domestically for Manchester United on April 15 when they travel to Nottingham Forest in the Premier League. His ban does not include European matches so he will be available for Thursday's Europa League clash with Real Betis.
Casimero was sent off after 34 minutes but Ten Hag's side were able to hold out for a 0-0 draw to stay third in the Premier League.
Ten Hag fumed about inconsistent officiating after the goalless draw, with the Dutchman also angered by that decision and some penalty calls.
"Well, what I think is the inconsistency (means) players don't know any more what is the policy," the United boss said on Casemiro's sending off in his post-match press conference.
"I think it's all across. I mean, you see yesterday, Leicester-Chelsea, then VAR is not coming on the line.
"Today it's coming on the line and then it's two penalty situations, but they don't come on the line.
"I think especially the first one was for me clear and obvious handball, so what is the policy?"
Ten Hag said they had "some questions" about the officiating on Sunday, when Casemiro picked up his second red card as a United player.
The 31-year-old picked up the first straight red of his time in Europe's top leagues in last month's 2-1 win against Crystal Palace and is now facing a four-match ban for his sending off.
"There is another one inconsistent," Ten Hag said. "The refereeing is coming at the start of the season with a policy 'we are Premier League, we are going strong here, we want intensity'.
"Casemiro is across European leagues, in over 500 games he had never a red card and now he has twice.
"He plays tough but he plays fair, also in this he is playing fair. Same as against Crystal Palace, so it is very debatable.
"When you freeze it looks bad, but everyone who knows something about football, who is acting on top football, they know what is bad and what isn't bad, what is fair.
"I tell you Casemiro is a really fair player. Tough but fair and it shows over 500 games in big leagues, never sent off."
Casemiro is understandably gutted and Ten Hag said "we have to consider that overnight" how to play without him in their next four domestic games.
Ten Hag replied "we will see" when asked if United will appeal a decision that left them playing the best part of an hour with 10 men.