Skip to content

Vinicius Junior: Gianluca Prestianni set to be available for Benfica's Champions League game at Real Madrid despite racism allegation

Vinicius Junior alleged he was racially abused by Gianluca Prestianni during Real Madrid's win over Benfica on Tuesday; UEFA is investigating and Prestianni - who denies the allegation - could face a ban of at least 10 matches; Jose Mourinho accused of "gaslighting"

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Kylian Mbappe shared his version of the alleged racist abuse suffered by Vinicius Junior and says the values of football are 'worthless' if we allow incidents like this to happen

Gianluca Prestianni is likely to be available to face Real Madrid on Wednesday, one week after Vinicius Junior accused him of racist abuse.

The Benfica winger allegedly abused Vinicius after the Real Madrid forward scored the winning goal in their Champions League knockout play-off first leg on Tuesday in Lisbon.

Vinicius informed the referee that he believed he had been racially abused, with Francois Letexier initiating the anti-racism protocol and suspending the game for around 10 minutes.

Vinicius Junior racism claim - the key points...

  • Champions League game halted after Vinicius Junior allegedly racially abused by Benfica player Gianluca Prestianni.
  • Trent Alexander-Arnold called the incident “a disgrace to football”, while Kylian Mbappe said after the game that he and other Benfica players heard what Prestianni said to Vinicius.
  • Benfica boss Jose Mourinho has been criticised for suggesting Vinicius had provoked the abuse with his celebration. Kick It Out have since released a statement accusing the Portuguese boss of 'gaslighting'.
  • Vinicius responded to alleged abuse by saying “racists are cowards” in a statement.
  • Prestianni released his own statement saying he had not directed racist insults at Vinicius, who he said had “regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard”.
  • Benfica posted footage of the incident on X, also dismissing the allegations.
  • UEFA has confirmed that it is investigating allegations of discriminatory behaviour.
  • Benfica have reiterated their support to Prestianni and have claimed a 'defamation campaign' against him.

UEFA has appointed an ethics and disciplinary inspector to investigate the incident but Sky Sports News has been told the process could take up to three weeks to conclude.

If found guilty, Prestianni - who denies the allegation - will be suspended for at least 10 games.

On Thursday, Real Madrid stated they had "provided UEFA with all the available evidence on the incidents".

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

UEFA appoint inspector after Vinicius Junior's allegation that he was racially abused by Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni

"Our club has actively collaborated with the investigation opened by UEFA after the unacceptable episodes of racism experienced during that match.

"Real Madrid appreciates the unanimous endorsement, support and affection that our player Vinicius Junior has received from all areas of world football.

"Real Madrid will continue to work, in collaboration with all institutions, to eradicate racism, violence and hatred in sport and society."

Kylian Mbappe, Vinicius' Real Madrid team-mate, said after the game he and other Benfica players heard what Prestianni said to Vinicius.

But Benfica released a statement on Wednesday offering their "full support" to their player and suggested a "defamation campaign" is in action against him.

Benfica statement in full

"Benfica views, with a spirit of complete collaboration, transparency, openness and a sense of clarity, the steps announced today by UEFA, following the alleged case of racism that occurred in the game against Real Madrid.

"The club reaffirms, clearly and unequivocally, its historical and unwavering commitment to defending the values ​​of equality, respect and inclusion, which align with the core values ​​of its foundation and which have Eusebio as their greatest symbol.

"Benfica reiterates that it fully supports and believes in the version presented by the player Gianluca Prestianni, whose conduct while serving the club has always been guided by respect for opponents, institutions, and the principles that define Benfica's identity.

"The club regrets the defamation campaign to which the player has been subjected."

Mourinho suggests Vinicius 'incited' reaction

Jose Mourinho, the Benfica manager, has been widely criticised for his reaction to the incident.

Vinicius reacted to his goal by dancing in front of the Benfica fans, after which Mourinho said: "When you score a goal like that, you celebrate in a respectful way."

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Benfica boss Jose Mourinho says he tried to be 'balanced' in his response to Vinicius Jr's racism allegation during the Champions League game against Real Madrid

Later asked if he believed Vinicius "incited" the home crowd and players with his celebration, the Benfica boss added: "Yeah, I believe so. The words they exchange, Prestianni with Vinicius, I want to be independent. I don't comment about it.

"When he was arguing about racism, I told him the biggest person in the history of this club was black [Eusebio]. This club, the last thing it is is racist.

"There is something wrong because it happens in every stadium. Every stadium that Vinicius plays [in] something happens. Always."

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Real Madrid winger Vinicius Junior has been subjected to a number of racist insults prior to the alleged incident at Benfica

Carra: It's rich coming from Mourinho

Sky Sports' Jamie Carragher, speaking on CBS, described Mourinho as "a guy who celebrates and antagonises the opposition probably more than any coach has ever done".

"Anyone can celebrate how they like," Carragher added. "You shouldn't get racially abused no matter what.

Referee Francois Letexier crosses his arms to activate FIFA's anti-racism protocol and temporarily stop the match
Image: Referee Francois Letexier crosses his arms to activate FIFA's anti-racism protocol and temporarily stop the match

"It feels a little rich coming from Mourinho.

"Remember him running down the touchline at Old Trafford? I remember in a cup final against Liverpool when Chelsea scored very late, [Mourinho was] telling all the Liverpool supporters to shut up.

"It's a bit rich coming from him to be having a pop at Vinicius Junior for his celebration. It's a huge goal in a big Champions League game, he's more than entitled to celebrate how he likes."

'It's hypocrisy from Jose'

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Real Madrid's Champions League knockout play-off tie at Benfica was halted for 10 minutes after Vinicius Jr initially refused to play on following an alleged racist comment made to him by Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni.

Meanwhile, Micah Richards described Mourinho's comments as "hypocrisy".

"Mourinho is someone who I absolutely love as a coach," the Sky Sports pundit said on CBS' Champions League coverage.

"I expect better from him because he's a powerful person within the sport. A lot of people listen to what he says.

"It's hypocrisy from him talking about Vinicius Junior when he celebrates how he wants."

Alexander-Arnold: What happened is a disgrace to football

England international Trent Alexander-Arnold condemned the abuse aimed at Vinicius Junior in his post-match interview.

"I think what has happened tonight is a disgrace to football and overshadowed the performance, as well as an amazing goal," said Alexander-Arnold.

"Vini has been subject to this a few times throughout his career. To ruin a night like this for our team is a disgrace.

"There is no place for it in football or society. It is disgusting."

Seedorf: Mourinho made 'big mistake'

Former Real Madrid midfielder Clarence Seedorf, who was working as a pundit at the game, said Mourinho made "a big mistake" with his comments.

He said on Amazon Prime: "I think he made a big mistake today to justify racial abuse. I'm not saying that was the case today but he mentioned something more than today.

"He said wherever he goes these things happen so he's saying it's OK when Vinicius provokes you, that is it OK to be racist and I think that is very wrong.

"We should never, ever justify racial abuse."

Kick It Out accuses Mourinho of 'gaslighting'

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Former Manchester United defender Mikael Silvestre, who sits on the FIFA Players' Voice Panel, discusses whether there could be sanctions on players who cover their mouths in an attempt to hide abusive comments

Meanwhile, anti-discrimination charity Kick It Out has accused Mourinho of gaslighting for his response to Vinicius Junior's allegations of racist abuse.

A Kick It Out statement said: "When anyone reports discrimination in football, or anywhere, the first priority is that they are listened to and feel supported.

"Focusing on Vinicius Junior's goal celebration or the history of the club, instead of acknowledging the report, is a form of gaslighting.

"This approach not only harms the individual affected but also sends the wrong message to others around the world who may have experienced similar situations.

"Leaders in football have a crucial role in setting standards, and moments like these call for responsible leadership that reinforces respect, inclusion, and accountability.

"We look forward to a thorough investigation into this incident, with appropriate accountability linked to the outcome."