David Moyes confirms second Manchester United bid for Cesc Fabregas

Image: Cesc Fabregas: United confirm second bid for midfielder

Manchester United manager David Moyes has confirmed the club have made a second bid for Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas.

Speaking prior to Saturday's friendly win over the A League All Stars in Sydney, Moyes said: "When I got the job, I was made aware of what could possibly be done to improve things. "Signing a midfield player was one area where we thought we could possibly add to the squad. "It's hard to get top quality players who can come in and affect your team. That's why we're trying to go for what we see as the right players and the best players. "If you're a player and you're brought up to play football, and you look out of the window and see Old Trafford, if you've got any ambitions about being a footballer, and you're a top-end one, then I think you'll want to play for Manchester United." After that 5-1 victory, Robin van Persie expressed his desire to be reunited with Fabregas, having played alongside the midfielder for Arsenal. Van Persie said: "Of course, he's a great player." United goalkeeper David de Gea has also recently confirmed he would relish the chance to play with his fellow Spaniard at Old Trafford. De Gea told the Daily Mail: "He is a great player, very skilful, knows how to win things and you always want those type of players in your team." However, Barcelona vice-president Josep Maria Bartomeu confirmed last week, prior to Vilanova's resignation, that Fabregas is not for sale. Bartomeu was quoted by Spanish daily Sport on Friday: "Barcelona can assure you we will not entertain any offers for Cesc. It is totally ruled out, he's not for sale."

Around Sky