Transfer news: Chelsea have a bid for Wayne Rooney turned down

Image: Wayne Rooney arrives at Carrington on Wednesday

Sky sources report that Manchester United have rejected a bid from Chelsea for unsettled striker Wayne Rooney.

Speaking last week, United chief executive Woodward said of Rooney's position: "No contract renewals are being discussed. I am not sitting down with any player on an extension and there is no trigger date in the diary. "Would we be afraid to run a contract down? Of course not." Former United centre-half Gordon McQueen believes Rooney will now leave Old Trafford, but thinks it would be a big mistake to allow him to join a Premier League rival like Chelsea or Manchester City. "It would be a big move for Wayne Rooney and one that I hope doesn't happen," McQueen told Sky Sports News. "I hope he stays with Manchester United. Unfortunately it seems to me that the player has got his mind made up that he wants to leave Old Trafford and it looks like to me now that they will probably let him go. "I think they would prefer him to go to one of the teams in Europe that can afford him - Paris St Germain or Monaco - you certainly wouldn't want him to go to Chelsea or Man City! "Man Utd did something similar last season and, in my opinion, it won them the league. That was getting a terrific goalscorer from one of their main rivals, Robin van Persie from Arsenal. "I think it would enhance Chelsea's chances of winning the Premier League if they took Wayne Rooney from Manchester United - just look at the goals he has scored for Man United over the last nine years. They (United) would find that difficult to replace." Chelsea emerged as favourites to land Rooney after Mourinho confirmed last week that he was a fan of the striker. Speaking at the start of Chelsea's Far East tour last Friday, Mourinho said of Rooney: "He is a player I like very much but I can say no more than that. Being fast and direct, I like that, but he's a Manchester United player." Mourinho insisted earlier this week that he was happy with the squad already at his disposal at Stamford Bridge, playing down talk of any departures. He has Fernando Torres, Demba Ba and Romelu Lukaku as attacking options, and has bolstered his squad with the likes of Andre Schurrle and goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer. Rooney has been backed into odds on to make the move to Stamford Bridge. Sky Bet have cut the odds on the striker moving to Chelsea from 11/2 to 1/2, while the odds on him remaining at Manchester United have drifted out to 13/8 Sky Bet Football Trader Chris Spicer said: "We were convinced that Rooney would not be allowed to leave after Moyes laid down his initial stance, but his recent comments are somewhat confusing. "Relations are starting to appear irreparable and we have now installed Chelsea as the favourites for the Premier League at 9/4, which would shorten significantly if they secure Rooney's services."

Around Sky