Jurgen Klopp satisfied with Liverpool's defensive options
By James Dale
Last Updated: 07/08/17 10:55am
Jurgen Klopp insists he is "happy" with his Liverpool centre-backs ahead of the new Premier League season.
Virgil van Dijk was a target for Liverpool earlier this summer, but the Reds withdrew their interest after Southampton complained to the Premier League over an alleged illegal approach.
The 26-year-old has been training away from the Southampton first team and played no part in their pre-season matches having told manager Mauricio Pellegrino he wants to leave the club.
Klopp, though, maintains he is not desperate to bring in defensive recruits before kicking off the new league campaign against Watford on Saturday, live on Sky Sports.
"Look out there and tell me five that would make us stronger. Five. Then you win a prize. It's difficult how it is," said Klopp, following Liverpool's 3-1 win over Athletic Bilbao last weekend.
"We have four. I don't think we need more. We cannot force the things and we would never get a centre back just because (of the sake of it).
"I'm happy. You can imagine we are still working on different things and we will see if it works. I am already here to work with this squad and not just always thinking 'but if we don't get this or this'."
Liverpool rejected an £11m bid from Napoli for Alberto Moreno earlier this summer - according to Sky sources - and Klopp has been particularly impressed by a series of mature pre-season displays from the left back, who struggled for form during the majority of last campaign.
"What I said is the truth. There is all this talking about signings and then you see Alberto Moreno - what a pre-season. You saw it. He has matured 100 per cent," Klopp added.
"Ryan Kent looked unbelievable, Dom (Solanke) - yes maybe a few guys expected that, maybe not. That's cool and I cannot ignore it."