Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers says Simon Mignolet has been taken out of the firing line for the time being
Last Updated: 15/12/14 12:14pm
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says goalkeeper Simon Mignolet has been dropped from the side for an indefinite period.
The 26-year-old Belgium international had been a regular for the Reds since arriving from Sunderland ahead of the 2013-14 season.
However, he has come in for some criticism this term and was left out in favour of Brad Jones for Sunday’s 3-0 loss at Manchester United.
And Rodgers says the 32-year-old Jones, who was starting his first Premier League game since March 2013, will keep his place for the time being.
Asked if Jones was now first choice at Liverpool, Rodgers said: “Yes. I said to Simon it was for an indefinite period.
"It is something that can happen to keepers, taking them out of the firing line to give them time to reflect.
"Brad is very experienced and was always going to play against Bournemouth (in the League Cup on Wednesday).
"He has played in a lot of games and, in my first year, he came in and did very well.
"He didn't have much to do other than take the ball out of the net today."
Rodgers also praised Mignolet for his reaction to being dropped to the bench.
"Simon has been fine,” said the manager. “He is a really good pro.
"I spoke to him and he accepted it.
"I just felt after the Basel game that I needed to make the change.
"We give the chance to every player. We had kept a few clean sheets but I felt it was something we needed to do."