Raheem Sterling has no plans to sign new Liverpool deal
Last Updated: 19/05/15 2:35pm
Raheem Sterling is set to resume contract talks with Liverpool later this week but intends to tell them he does not plan to sign a new deal, according to Sky sources.
Sky sources understand Sterling feels aggrieved at the manner in which contract negotiations have been handled because he feels the club have tried to bully him into signing a new contract. He also does not think he has been sufficiently protected him from negative headlines.
It is understood the 20-year-old England international winger will make a decision about his future by Friday, when he is due to meet with manager Brendan Rodgers and chief executive Ian Ayre.
After the meeting, it will become clear whether he intends to stay at Anfield or leave the club. As it stands, Sky sources expect that Sterling will tell Liverpool that he will not be signing a new deal.
But Sterling's agent Aidy Ward, claims the story "has been blown somewhat out of proportion" insisting he expects the the situation to progress following the scheduled meeting with Liverpool officials this week.
"The story has been blown somewhat out of proportion," Ward said.
"Raheem and his representatives have a meeting scheduled with Liverpool later this week, and we will take proceedings from there."
Sterling has started 34 of Liverpool’s 35 Premier League games this season, scoring eight goals and directly assisting another seven.
His existing contract still has two years left to run and the player said last month that a decision on his contract is not about money but will be motivated by his will to win trophies.
But Sterling is understood to be angry that details of earlier contract offers have been leaked.
Sky Sports News HQ understands that Liverpool's position remains unchanged and that the club says Sterling is not for sale.