Nathaniel Clyne Liverpool move close according to bookmakers
Last Updated: 25/06/15 4:13pm
Betting has been suspended on Liverpool signing Southampton right-back Nathaniel Clyne this summer after Sky Bet reported a surge of stakes.
The 24-year-old was backed at odds as short as 1/8 to move to Anfield on Thursday morning and Sky Sports sources say the Saints have accepted an improved offer for the player after rejecting a £10m bid last month.
Clyne is said to have been granted permission to discuss personal terms with Liverpool and the betting market suggests the England international will become the club's sixth new arrival this summer.
Manager Brendan Rodgers has already landed James Milner, Danny Ings, Joe Gomez, Adam Bogdan and Roberto Firmino, the Brazilian forward signed from Hoffenheim this week for £21.3m.
Clyne would become the fourth player to arrive from St Mary’s in 12 months after Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert and Dejan Lovren joined last year.
Sky Bet’s Chris Spicer said: “Clyne has relentlessly been backed to join Liverpool but the interest really cranked up on Thursday morning, with unusually large stakes at short prices.”
Liverpool are also favourites to sign Inter Milan midfielder Mateo Kovacic and Zenit forward Salomon Rondon as Rodgers rebuilds following a disappointing sixth-place finish in the Premier League last season.