Marcel Brands says Everton have no 'big plans' for January transfers
Everton director of football 'more focused on the summer window'
By Tommaso Fiore
Last Updated: 08/01/19 9:43pm
Marcel Brands has ruled out "big" transfer plans at Everton in January, admitting he is "more focused on the summer window".
The director of football was confirmed as one of the club's new board members at their Annual General Meeting on Tuesday, and will be in charge of the entire football strategy, from academy to first team.
But as Brands took to the stage, he was asked about his immediate plans for the current transfer window and admitted he does not expect a busy January when it comes to player transfers.
"We don't have big plans. It's a very difficult period to bring players in," he said.
"We don't want to let our best players go, also other clubs don't. I'm more focused on the summer window than the January window.
"If we sell or loan players, then maybe we have to do something, and if we do something, it has to be good."
Everton spent a total of around £86m on transfers the past summer, bringing in Richarlison, Yerry Mina, Lucas Digne and Andre Gomes.
Majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri and chairman Bill Kenwright agreed the season so far has not been good enough, and added it is in their sights to win a piece of silverware in the FA Cup this season.
"We put a big bet on Marco and we stick with him, he has our total support," said Moshiri.
"Consistency has been an issue but we have had terrific performances and the challenge in the second half is to have more of those performances."
Everton face Bournemouth in the Premier League on Sunday live on Sky Sports Premier League from 1pm.