Crystal Palace squad not 'finger-pointing' at Christian Benteke after penalty-miss, says Jeffrey Schlupp
Tuesday 12 December 2017 11:54, UK
Crystal Palace defender Jeffrey Schlupp insists there is "no finger-pointing" at Christian Benteke following Saturday's last-minute penalty miss against Bournemouth.
Palace's 2-2 draw with Eddie Howe's side was dominated by a late penalty miss by striker Benteke, who took over from usual spot-taker Luka Milivojevic, despite the midfielder scoring a penalty of his own earlier in the game.
Benteke's actions led to a vocal response from Palace fans following the full-time whistle, and Schlupp has confirmed the Belgian international has apologised to team-mates over the incident.
"I think, obviously, he wanted to end his goal drought and the ball was passed to him and he took it," Schlupp exclusively told Sky Sports News.
"It's one of those things, you have set-piece takers that are designated set-piece takers and I think not in any scenario should that change but he stepped up and missed it and we move forward.
"There's no finger-pointing or getting onto him, he's held his hands up and he's apologised and everyone moves forward."
Despite Palace's recent frustrating form, Schlupp insists the club are taking positives from their results and is confident manager Roy Hodgson can lead them to safety this season.
Palace sit bottom of the Premier League following just two victories from 16 games this season, though they are on a run of five without defeat.
The south London team head into Tuesday's Premier League clash with Watford two points from safety, but Schlupp remains confident the side will soon be moving in the right direction.
"You try and look at it as less as you can [the Premier League table]," said the 24-year old.
"It's one of those things that obviously everyone sees and people are talking about it but we're taking the positives out of how we've been playing recently.
"There's been three or four we've drawn recently where we feel we've done enough to win, so you've got to take the positives out of those, of course.
"We're creating a lot of chances and hopefully we can keep doing that and win some games."
Since Hodgson's arrival as Palace manager in September to replace Frank de Boer, the side have secured 11 points from their last nine games.
Schlupp has backed the former England boss' vast experience to be the deciding factor throughout the remainder of the campaign as the Eagles seek to move away from the relegation zone.
"It's clear to see what Roy has got a great CV," he added. "He's done well with every team he's been at, really.
"We've got all the faith in him and he's got all the faith in us and I think our performances of recent have been showing that.
"We've come a long way from the beginning of the season and I feel with him in charge we've got a great chance of staying up, which I'm sure we will do."
After hosting Watford at Selhurst Park on Tuesday, Palace travel to Leicester on Saturday lunchtime - live on Sky Sports Premier League.