Barnet have announced the departure of manager Mark Stimson following a poor run of results.
Barnet boss pays price for disappointing season
Barnet have announced the departure of manager Mark Stimson with immediate effect following a poor run of results.
Stimson only took charge at Underhill in June but the Bees have not enjoyed the campaign they were hoping for.
They have won just five games in League Two all season and Saturday's 2-1 defeat at home to Aldershot left them second bottom of the table.
Barnet bosses have therefore taken the decision to sack Stimson and look for a new man to take the club forward.
Paul Fairclough will take the helm on a temporary basis whilst the search is on for a full-time replacement.
Stimson had previously spent three years as Gillingham manager and experienced both joy and disappointment.
He guided the Gills to promotion from League Two via the play-offs in 2008/9 but was then axed when they were relegated 12 months later.
Gutted
Stimson said: "I am very disappointed. We need to focus on Barnet Football Club, getting enough points to stay in this league and I wish Barnet Football Club all the best in the future.
"Whoever takes over will be getting an honest bunch of players. The chairman made the decision and I am gutted but I have to accept it. The chairman puts everything he can into the club.
"It's a horrible place to be in the league, we didn't expect to be here at this point in the season.
"If I've helped in any way to keep Barnet in this league, so be it, and I wish them all the best."
Fairclough, 60, will now attempt to steer the club out of the relegation zone.
He said: "At this moment in time, I'm in temporary charge and that is all I can tell you.
"We've got 23 games to go this season and our message to the players and supporters is realistically that we want to make sure we remain a league club.
"But this club has got to aim for more than that, I'm going to meet with the players this evening and again tomorrow, and we'll decide where to go from there."