Capital One Cup final: How Liverpool and Man City made it to Wembley

We look at how Liverpool and Manchester City made it to the Capital One Cup final

Liverpool and Manchester City go head to head for Capital One Cup glory live on Sky Sports on Sunday.

Live Capital One Cup Final

Jurgen Klopp is hoping to clinch Liverpool's first piece of silverware since 2012 just a few months after his appointment, while Manuel Pellegrini is bidding to end his Manchester City tenure on a trophy-winning high.

Ahead of the big game, we look back at how the two sides made their way to Wembley...


Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Ahead of the Capital One Cup final at Wembley, Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet talks about his side’s route to the final

Third round - v Carlisle United (H) 1-1 (Liverpool won 3-2 on penalties)

Adam Bogdan of Liverpool celebrates with team mates after saving the crucial penalty against Carlisle
Image: Adam Bogdan was Liverpool's penalty shoot-out hero against Carlisle United

Liverpool's Capital One Cup campaign started in inauspicious circumstances as League Two Carlisle United took them to a penalty shoot-out at Anfield. There were boos from the home fans as the Reds laboured through the 120 minutes, but Adam Bogdan became an unlikely hero when he saved three penalties in the shoot-out.

Fourth round - v Bournemouth (H) 1-0

Also See:

Liverpool players celebrate after Nathaniel Clyne (centre hidden) scores his side's first goal of the game during the Capital One Cup, Fourth Round match
Image: Liverpool players mob Nathaniel Clyne after his winning goal against Bournemouth

Klopp earned his first win as Liverpool manager as they moved into quarter-finals at the expense of Bournemouth.  Nathaniel Clyne scored the only goal of the game after Adam Smith had cleared Joao Carlos Teixeira's free-kick off the line. "I'm really satisfied because this team had never played together and the young players did really well," said Klopp.

Quarter-final - v Southampton (A) 6-1

Alberto Moreno, Daniel Sturridge and Liverpool are all smiles
Image: Liverpool players celebrate during their 6-1 thrashing of Southampton

Liverpool turned on the style in their last-eight clash at St Mary's Stadium, blowing Southampton away with a scintillating attacking performance. Sadio Mane put Saints in front after just 39 seconds on the night, but the visitors roared back with Daniel Sturridge scoring twice, Divock Origi claiming a hat-trick, and Jordan Ibe notching the other goal.

Semi-final - v Stoke City 1-1 on aggregate (Liverpool won 6-5 on penalties)

Liverpool players celebrate after Joe Allen scores the winning penalty against Stoke
Image: Liverpool players celebrate after Joe Allen scores the winning penalty against Stoke

Ibe struck the only goal in the first leg of Liverpool's semi-final at the Britannia Stadium after replacing the injured Philippe Coutinho in the first half. In the return game at Anfield, Marko Arnautovic's close-range finish ensured the tie went to penalties. Simon Mignolet saved two of Stoke's efforts and Joe Allen dispatched the winning spot-kick.


Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Ahead of the Capital One Cup final at Wembley, Manchester City goalkeeper Willy Caballero talks about their route to the final

Third round - v Sunderland (A) 4-1

Raheem Sterling of Manchester City celebrates with Kevin De Bruyne after scoring the opening goal against Sunderland
Image: Raheem Sterling celebrates with Kevin De Bruyne after scoring against Sunderland

While many managers use the Capital One Cup to rotate their squad, Pellegrini wheeled out the big guns against Sunderland as City claimed an emphatic victory. Sergio Aguero opened the scoring from the penalty spot, with Kevin De Bruyne and Raheem Sterling scoring either side of a Vito Mannone own goal before Ola Toivonen's struck a late consolation for the Black Cats.

Fourth round - v Crystal Palace (H) 5-1

Sergio Aguero of Manchester City celebrates with team-mates after scoring his team's third goal
Image: Manchester City thrashed Crystal Palace 5-1 at the Etihad Stadium

City made it nine goals in two games in the competition as they thrashed Alan Pardew's Crystal Palace in the fourth round. Wilfried Bony opened the scoring at the Etihad Stadium, and De Bruyne doubled their lead just before half-time. After the break, Kelechi Iheanacho, Yaya Toure and Spanish youngster Manu Garcia extended City's lead.

Quarter-final - v Hull City (H) 4-1

Wilfried Bony
Image: Wilfried Bony was on target for Manchester City in their quarter-final against Hull

City continued to steamroller their way towards the final with a 4-1 thrashing of Championship outfit Hull City. Bony struck the opener in the early stages, but it wasn't until the last 10 minutes that the rest of the goals arrived. Iheanacho doubled their advantage and De Bruyne hit a quick-fire brace before Andrew Robertson scored a consolation goal for the visitors.

Semi-final - v Everton 4-3 on aggregate

Sergio Aguero of Manchester City is challenged by Leighton Baines of Everton
Image: Sergio Aguero scored as Manchester City edged past Everton at the Etihad Stadium

After breezing into the semis, City were made to sweat for their place in the final. Pellegrini's side were beaten 2-1 in the first leg at Goodison Park, with Ramiro Funes Mori and Romelu Lukaku scoring either side of Jesus Navas' equaliser. At the Etihad Stadium, the Toffees appeared to be heading through before De Bruyne and Aguero struck in the final 20 minutes to give City a 4-3 aggregate win.

Watch Liverpool v Manchester City live on Sky Sports 1 HD from 4pm on Sunday

Around Sky