Moscow hotel used by UEFA officials evacuated after bomb scare
By Bryan Swanson, Chief News Reporter in Moscow
Last Updated: 24/09/17 10:43pm
A hotel used by UEFA officials in Moscow was evacuated over of a bomb scare on Monday night.
Guests at the DoubleTree by Hilton Moscow Marina hotel were ordered to leave their rooms as police searched the property for any suspicious packages.
The evacuation followed an anonymous phone call.
It is understood members of UEFA's venue and marketing teams have been staying at the hotel ahead of Spartak Moscow's game against Liverpool and CSKA Moscow's match against Manchester United.
Guests were allowed back into the hotel shortly after midnight.
One hotel guest told Sky Sports News: "I'd just checked-in and an announcement was made over the speakers.
"Hotel staff came round knocking on doors and we were all told to leave immediately. It was calm and the police have been searching every room to make the hotel safe."
A UEFA spokesperson has declined to comment.
Liverpool and Manchester United are due in the Russian capital ahead of their Champions League games on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Both clubs are expected to stay in hotels unrelated to the scare.
The British Embassy has issued guidance to several thousand fans arriving from the UK.
There is a heightened state of security in Moscow but officials have been quick to stress there have been a number of hoax bomb scares in Russia over the last few weeks.
Earlier on Sunday, FC UFA evacuated their hotel following a bomb scare before their Premier League match against Arsenal Tula.