UEFA say security measures in place for Europa League final in Stockholm
Last Updated: 23/05/17 9:55am
UEFA have moved to reassure fans that stringent security measures are in place for Wednesday's Europa League final between Manchester United and Ajax in Stockholm.
The move comes after Monday night's terror attack at the Manchester Arena, when 22 people were killed and 59 were injured in an explosion which went off shortly after the end of an Ariana Grande concert.
UEFA stated they have received no intelligence which leads them to believe an attack is planned which might target events surrounding Wednesday's game.
Security measures for the match have already been strengthened following the terror attack in Stockholm in April, when a hijacked truck was driven into a crowd of people, killing five and injuring 15.
Manchester clubs pay tributes
United and City issue statements on social media following Monday's terror attack at Manchester Arena...
"There is currently no specific intelligence which might suggest that any of the UEFA Europa League Final activities in Stockholm may be the target of attacks," UEFA said in a statement.
"UEFA has been closely working with local authorities and the Swedish FA for many months and the terrorist risk had been taken into account since the very beginning of the project.
"Furthermore, a number of additional security measures were implemented following the attacks in Stockholm last April.
"Due to the tight security arrangements, UEFA urges fans to arrive at the stadium as early as possible, as detailed checks will be made at the entrances, resulting in potential delays in accessing the stadium."
United fans travelling to Stockholm for the game have been advised that all flights from Manchester Airport are proceeding as scheduled.
Our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by the terrible events at Manchester Arena— Manchester Airport (@manairport) May 23, 2017
Flights are scheduled to operate as normal today however some transport links to the airport maybe affected. Please check before you travel.— Manchester Airport (@manairport) May 23, 2017
A Manchester Airport spokesman said: "Following the devastating incident which occurred at the Manchester Arena last night, our thoughts go out to the victims and their families.
"Whilst we have no information to suggest any further threat at this time, as always, we ask that passengers remain vigilant. If they see anything suspicious do not hesitate to report it airport staff or the police on site.
"Flights are currently operating as normal but public transport to the airport might be impacted following the incident.
"The safety and security of all our staff and passengers is always of paramount importance and we will work closely with GMP and other agencies to ensure this."
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin sent his condolences to all those affected in the attack.
"I am deeply saddened by the horrible terrorist attack in Manchester last night," Ceferin said. "It shocks me that so many innocent people lost their lives and I would like to send my condolences to the families of those affected."