Friday 22 May 2015 11:13, UK
Liverpool have cancelled contract talks with Raheem Sterling and his representatives which had been due to take place on Friday.
Earlier Sterling's agent Aidy Ward had told Sky Sports News HQ that he denied quotes attributed to him in the Evening Standard over the Liverpool forward's future and would be seeking legal advice over the article.
Ward was due to meet Liverpool chief executive Ian Ayre on Friday to discuss Sterling's future and was expected to tell the club Sterling would not be signing an extension to his existing deal, which still has two years to run.
The 20-year-old was booed by some Liverpool fans as he accepted the Young Player of the Year award at Tuesday night’s end of season awards ceremony.
Sterling - and his agent have also been roundly criticised by many involved in football with Sky Sports pundit Thierry Henry warning Sterling he risks "destroying his life and career" by listening to "bad advice".
Former Liverpool defender and fellow Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher has also slammed the way Sterling - and his representatives - have acted.
"For a 20-year-old kid to be taking on Liverpool Football Club over a contract, to the pit of my stomach that just winds me up, it angers me," Carragher told Sky Sports' Monday Night Football. "You keep your mouth shut - get on with playing football."
Manchester United are reported to have made an enquiry about Sterling but senior sources at Old Trafford have said he is not on their list of targets.
And, speaking at a news conference to announce the latest England squad Roy Hodgson refused to answer questions on Sterling's future saying simply: "I won't be sticking my nose into that business at all."