Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini claims he has rejected an approach from Manchester United for 21-year-old striker Paulo Dybala.
The Argentine forward, whose playing style has drawn comparisons to compatriot Sergio Aguero, has been in fine form this season, hitting nine goals in 17 Serie A appearances.
Zamparini did admit, however, the club will be willing to listen to offers in the summer for the player they signed from Argentinian club Instituto for £9million in 2012.
"Dybala is worth over €40 million (£31million), but I won't sell him until June," Zamparini told Italian outlet, Radio Due.
"Many foreign clubs asked after him, including Manchester United. I told the English side that he is not for sale right now, but we can talk about it again in six months. In my view, he is the best striker in Europe at the moment."
United may well be in the market for a striker as Columbian star Radamel Falcao has failed to meet expectations at Old Trafford since joining on loan from Monaco.
Louis van Gaal left him out of his matchday squad altogether in last Sunday’s loss to Southampton and it seems unlikely the club will opt to take up their option to buy the 28-year-old for £43.5m at the end of the season.
Falcao’s agent Jorge Mendes raised doubts about the possibility earlier this week.
"He is a fantastic player, and I think it's very difficult for Manchester United fans," Mendes said.
"They have an absolutely brilliant player, one of the very best in the world, who would without any doubt play 90 minutes of the match, every time, with any other club.
"The truth is, right now we don't know what will happen. What we do know is that he will play in one of the very best clubs in the world next season, whether that is Manchester United or not.”