Jackson Martinez confirms he's to join Atletico Madrid from Porto

Porto's Colombian forward Jackson Martinez celebrates after scoring a goal during the Portuguese league football match Boavista vs FC Porto
Image: Jackson Martinez: Heading for Atletico

Porto striker Jackson Martinez has confirmed he will join Atletico Madrid on a four-year deal after turning down an offer from AC Milan.

The La Liga club have agreed to Porto's £24.8m release clause and the Colombia striker will have some time off before heading for Spain to complete formalities on the deal.

The 28-year-old look destined for a switch to AC Milan earlier in the summer before a deal with the Serie A giants fell through.

"I can confirm I am going to Atletico," said Martinez after Colombia's Copa America defeat to Argentina in Vina del Mar on Friday night.

"I am going there for four years, but I still don’t know when I will be introduced.

"It’s all ready. I’m going to enjoy spending some time with my family for now and then travel to Spain to introduce myself to my new club,” said Martinez after Colombia’s 5-4 defeat on penalties.

"I'm very excited about taking this step with Atletico Madrid. It’s a new challenge in my career and I hope things turn out very well for me there.

"I’m joining with the promise of contributing to ensure the club follows their evolution."

Around Sky