Southampton vs Liverpool preview
Watch match highlights from 5.15pm on skysports.com and Sky Sports app
Last Updated: 16/08/19 1:13pm
Team news, stats and prediction ahead of Southampton vs Liverpool in the Premier League.
Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl has confirmed he has no fresh injury concerns.
New signing Kevin Danso is available having joined up with the squad earlier this week, while winger Moussa Djenepo could be set for a debut having been an unused substitute in the 3-0 defeat at Burnley.
Liverpool goalkeeper Adrian is a doubt for Saturday's Premier League trip to Southampton after suffering a freak ankle injury during the Super Cup victory over Chelsea.
Reds boss Jurgen Klopp revealed the Spaniard was hurt when a pitch invader landed on his ankle during the post-match celebrations in Istanbul. Should Liverpool be without Adrian, either Andy Lonergan and Caoimhin Kelleher will deputise for the Spaniard, with regular first-choice Alisson already out for a few weeks because of a calf complaint.
Naby Keita has also been ruled out of the trip to Southampton.
How to watch
Follow the action with our dedicated live blog. Highlights of the game will be published at 5.15pm on the Sky Sports website and app plus the Sky Sports Football YouTube channel.
- Southampton have lost their last four Premier League matches against Liverpool, conceding 11 goals and scoring just once in this run.
- Liverpool have only lost one of their last 11 Premier League meetings with Southampton (W7 D3), going down 2-3 in March 2016. The Reds had lost five of their previous seven against Saints prior to this run.
- Liverpool ended the 2018-19 season with a run of four consecutive away Premier League wins - they haven't won five in a row on the road since a run of six between February and April 2014.
- Southampton have both scored and conceded in 13 of their last 14 Premier League home games, with the exception being a 2-0 win against Fulham in February.
- This is the third meeting between Ralph Hasenhuttl and Jürgen Klopp in all competitions - Klopp has won the previous two, with Borussia Dortmund against VfR Aalen in the DFB-Pokal in October 2012 and a 3-1 win for Liverpool against Southampton last season.
- In 12 Premier League games against opponents from the south coast (Brighton, Bournemouth and Southampton), Liverpool's Mohamed Salah has found the net in 11 of those, scoring 14 goals and assisting another three.
- Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold has registered an assist in his last five Premier League appearances - in Premier League history, only two players have assisted in six games in a row; Cesc Fabregas (six between April 2011 and September 2014) and Mesut Ozil (seven between September and November 2015).
I am not convinced by Liverpool this season. Are they going to be good enough for second? Yes they are. Liverpool cannot and will not be as good defensively - Alisson is out already, too. Southampton will be looking at different things and how to exploit this Liverpool team.
Virgil van Dijk still makes mistakes and is an elegant, beautiful footballer to watch, but he is expected to win headers and play how he does. I think Southampton, after the rotten result, will be at it here.
CHARLIE PREDICTS: 2-2 (16/1 with Sky Bet)
Fantasy Football tip
Southampton look to bounce back against a Liverpool side that may feel fatigued following the UEFA Super Cup. Divock Origi (£9.3m) registered 12 points last week and could be set to lead the line once more at St Mary's. Origi scored and made a goal against Norwich. Play here.