Chelsea vs Crystal Palace preview
Watch match highlights at 5.15pm on skysports.com and the Sky Sports app
Last Updated: 08/11/19 3:15pm
Team news, key stats and prediction ahead of Chelsea vs Crystal Palace in the Premier League.
Chelsea will have Mason Mount available after he limped off in the sensational 4-4 draw with Ajax in midweek, but Ross Barkley will miss out. Jorginho is suspended for the game after picking up his fifth booking of the season last weekend.
Antonio Rudiger, who has played 45 minutes of Premier League football, remains sidelined after having an operation, while Ruben Loftus-Cheek continues his rehabilitation from an Achilles injury.
Crystal Palace will have a fully fit squad to choose from for the trip to Stamford Bridge, with Andros Townsend, James McArthur, Gary Cahill and Cheikhou Kouyate all back after short-term knocks.
Mamadou Sakho and Connor Wickham, who have been out for a longer period, are also back in contention.
How to follow
Follow the action with our dedicated live blog. Highlights of the game will be published at 5.15pm on the Sky Sports website and app plus the Sky Sports Football YouTube channel.
- How to watch Premier League highlights
- Live football on Sky Sports this week
- All 8 Sky Sports channels now for £20 a month
- Chelsea have won six of their last eight home league games against Crystal Palace, losing the other two in August 2015 and April 2017.
- Since returning to the Premier League in 2013-14, Crystal Palace have won four of their 12 league games against Chelsea, double how many they'd beaten the Blues in their 22 previous top-flight encounters between 1969-2005 (W2 D9 L11).
- Chelsea have won their last three London derbies in the Premier League, their best run since winning five in a row between October and December 2014 under Jose Mourinho.
- Since the start of last season, only Liverpool (18), Manchester City (18) and Chelsea (14) have won more Premier League away games than Crystal Palace (11).
- Crystal Palace have won two of their last four away London derbies in the Premier League (D1 L1), as many as they had in their previous 15 such matches (W2 D3 L10). This will be their 100th London derby in the Premier League - only Fulham have a lower points-per-game ratio in such games (0.84) than the Eagles (0.93).
- Chelsea are looking to win six consecutive Premier League games for the first time since May 2017 under Antonio Conte, in their last title-winning season.
- Chelsea's Christian Pulisic has scored in each of his last two Premier League appearances - only three Americans have scored in three in a row; Clint Dempsey (three times - 2007, 2009 and 2012), Joe Max-Moore (2000) and Roy Wegerle (1993).
- Chelsea boss Frank Lampard could become the seventh English manager to win six consecutive Premier League matches, and the first since Alan Pardew in April 2012 with Newcastle United.
Charlie Nicholas' prediction
Crystal Palace are a better side away from home. Roy Hodgson has done a fabulous job when you consider he hasn't really got a striker on the books. Christian Benteke's goal record tells you everything, although Jordan Ayew has four goals this campaign.
Palace just keep plodding away - Gary Cahill has improved them. Wilfried Zaha likes to turn up in these games. Mason Mount may be out, but Christian Pulisic is two-footed, has lovely balance and is a great finisher. Chelsea had a wonderful comeback against Ajax - they should have seen the job off and they didn't in the end.
Tammy Abraham is a bit cold and not getting into the areas that matter as such, but Willian has been playing well. I think Chelsea will get over the line but it will be a tight one.
CHARLIE PREDICTS: 2-1 (15/2 with Sky Bet)