Full Time After Extra Time This is a live match. Extra Time Half Time

Kilmarnock vs St. Johnstone. Scottish Premiership.

The BBSP Stadium, Rugby Park.

Kilmarnock 1

  • A Tshibola (61st minute)
  • R Millen (sent off 63rd minute)

St. Johnstone 2

  • D Wotherspoon (85th minute)
  • M O'Halloran (94th minute)

Kilmarnock 1-2 St Johnstone: Michael O'Halloran's late winner sees off 10-men

Report: Michael O'Halloran pounces on late error

preview image 2:51
Highlights of the Scottish Premiership match between Kilmarnock and St. Johnstone.

St Johnstone scored twice in the closing stages to beat 10-man Kilmarnock 2-1 and secure their first Scottish Premiership win of the new campaign.

Kilmarnock were on course to seal their first win of the season following Aaron Tshibola's 61st-minute strike but minutes later defender Ross Millen was shown a straight red card for a two-footed challenge on Scott Tanser.

And the numerical disadvantage cost them as substitute David Wotherspoon equalised with five minutes remaining before Michael O'Halloran pounced on Stuart Findlay's backpass to slot in a dramatic winner four minutes into added time.

Chris Burke had scored in each of Kilmarnock's opening three Premiership fixtures and had a chance to grab another when he robbed Jason Kerr of possession in the second minute and burst into the penalty area, but the winger was outmuscled by Liam Gordon as the defender got back to make a crucial challenge.

St Johnstone were presented with a chance when Kilmarnock goalkeeper Danny Rogers, under no pressure, spilled a lofted cross from Liam Craig and Callum Hendry latched on to the loose ball inside the box but turned his shot wide.

Kilmarnock had a huge shout for a penalty after 24 minutes when Nicke Kabamba stole in behind St Johntone's defence and had his shirt pulled by Gordon before the defender turned the ball behind. The hosts appealed for a spot-kick but
referee Andrew Dallas awarded a corner.

Shaun Rooney was booked for pulling back Mitch Pinnock on the edge of the area and from the free-kick Killie defender Findlay lashed in a shot which forced Elliott Parish into a fine save.

Also See:

Kilmarnock kept pushing for the opener and Parish was tested again when Burke gathered a deep cross from Findlay and then lashed in a shot which the goalkeeper turned round a post.

From the resultant corner Pinnock swung in a cross which was met by Kirk Broadfoot but his powerful header crashed against the crossbar.

St Johnstone needed to pose more of an attacking threat after the interval and the visitors came close to breaking the deadlock in the 50th minute through a Hendry set-piece.

From just outside the area, Hendry drilled in a low shot which Rogers saved with an outstretched leg.

Kilmarnock broke the deadlock after 61 minutes through Tshibola.

Broadfoot played a long ball over the Saints defence for Pinnock and he then rolled the ball into the path of Tshibola to finish from 10 yards out as the midfielder claimed his first goal since October 2018.

Moments later Kilmarnock were reduced to 10 men when Millen was shown a straight red card by referee Dallas for a two-footed challenge on Scott Tanser on the halfway line.

Hendry went close on two occasions late on to equalise and St Johnstone's late pressure finally told when sub Wotherspoon was in the right place to turn home Liam Craig's cross with just five minutes remaining.

St Johnstone were not done and deep into added time Findlay's slack backpass was picked up by Wotherspoon and he calmly went round Rogers and slotted home the winner.

What the managers said

St Johnstone manager Callum Davidson said: "We played really well against 10 men. We had 10 men against Dundee United and sometimes they can be difficult to break down, so to walk away with three points I'm over the moon."

Kilmarnock manager Alex Dyer said: "It's a sending off. I don't think he caught the lad but obviously he's dived in, he's out of control a little and his studs were showing. He's given the ref a decision to make and he's made one.

"I think they were two clear ones (penalties). But we're not getting them at the moment. We will keep plugging away and making those opportunities and hopefully one day one of the refs will give it to us.

"These decisions can make the difference but the mistakes today were our mistakes. We could easily have come away with a draw and we didn't do that."

What's next?

Kilmarnock take on Scottish Premiership leaders Rangers at Ibrox, while St Johnstone host Aberdeen on Thursday night in a rearranged fixture, before entertaining Hibernian three days later, with both games live on Sky Sports Football.


Have you opted into Sky Bet Club?

Have you opted into Sky Bet Club?

Opt in and bet £25 or more before 23:59 on Sunday to earn a free £5. Free bets will credited by 7pm on Monday.

Around Sky