Chelsea are interested in signing Everton forward Anthony Gordon; Tottenham wanted to sign the 21-year-old in a package deal with Richarlison for a combined £80m earlier in the summer; Everton's stance is that the player is not for sale
Monday 15 August 2022 11:19, UK
Chelsea are interested in signing Everton forward Anthony Gordon.
One source has told Sky Sports News they have offered £40m for the winger. It is understood the club have not received a formal bid, however.
Everton's position during this transfer window has been that the player is not for sale.
That was the case when Tottenham wanted to sign him in a package deal with Richarlison for a combined £80m earlier in the summer and when Newcastle also made an approach, but did not submit a formal bid.
Gordon has started both of Everton's Premier League games so far this season, playing as a false number nine in the absence of Dominic Calvert-Lewin as the striker recovers from a knee injury.
£40m for a 21-year-old who has played 51 times in the Premier League? He's not set the heather on fire yet.
Gordon has made 51 Premier League appearances so far for Everton, scoring four goals.
It was his free-kick which led to Jarrad Branthwaite scoring an equaliser against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in December last year.
Sky Sports' Graeme Souness said: "£40m for a 21-year-old who has played 51 times in the Premier League? He's not set the heather on fire yet.
"He's a dribbler and he's quick enough. For me, he goes to ground a bit too easily but that's a lot of money for someone who's only played 50 games. It's not screaming at you when you see him play that he's going to be a top man."
New Chelsea owners Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital have spent their first summer at the Stamford Bridge helm conducting a swift overhaul in every department.
The ambitious US bosses have already spent big on Raheem Sterling, Kalidou Koulibaly, Marc Cucurella and Carney Chukwuemeka.
Highly-promising young goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina has been signed and will remain on loan at Chicago Fire, while the Blues continue to chase Inter Milan's teenage midfielder Cesare Casadei.
Chelsea are understood to be in negotiations with Barcelona over a deal for striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, while the quest to prise Wesley Fofana away from Leicester also continues.
Sky Sports' Jamie Carragher:
"It's a lot of money (£40m) for a young player who is just coming onto the scene, but I don't see how Everton could accept that. The position they find themselves in right now, lacking attacking players.
"He's the one big hope for the club. The supporters aren't deaf at Everton. They've lost their first two games and they know they're in for a difficult season. They need attacking players to come in so there's no way they can let him go.
"Especially with him being a local lad, he's the one fans are hanging their hats on. I think it would have to be a lot higher than that if Everton are going to sanction that."
Sky Sports' Karen Carney:
"There's been rumours of Christian Pulisic and Hakim Ziyech going so he'd be more of a like-for-like replacement for one of them. He's young, he's an English talent and that's the sort of recruitment they've gone for.
"They want some young and some experienced players. In terms of getting in a recognised centre forward, he's not the type of player or answer that's been spoken about."
Who will be on the move this summer before the transfer window closes at 11pm on September 1?
Keep up-to-date with all the latest transfer news and rumours in our dedicated Transfer Centre blog on Sky Sports' digital platforms. You can also catch up with the ins, outs and analysis on Sky Sports News.