Manchester United extend Antonio Valencia's stay at Old Trafford
By Andrew Dickson
Last Updated: 17/01/17 5:01pm
Antonio Valencia will remain at Manchester United for a further year after the club activated a clause in his contract.
The revised deal will see the former Wigan player stay at Old Trafford until June 2018 in a move similar to that which saw Marouane Fellani’s time with United extend last week.
Confirming the deal, Valencia said: "Another year to give everything for the greatest club in the world Manchester United. Happy to announce I've renewed my contract 'til 2018."
Valencia has become a key player at the club since he moved from Wigan in 2009 and is established as their first-choice right back after 271 competitive appearances.
He has made 23 of those this season under Jose Mourinho, who has now moved to ensure he has the player’s service for another 12 months.
Mourinho, who saw his team’s nine-match winning run come to an end in a 1-1 draw with Liverpool on Sunday, admits he is a long-time admirer of the 31-year-old.
He told MUTV in November: "I tried to sign Antonio a number of years ago, when I was at [Real] Madrid.
"Even though he was not playing right-back at the time, I thought he could be phenomenal in that position. As it was, United told me 'no chance!'.
"I am not surprised by his form this season. He has been clean of injuries, save for an operation on his arm which did not keep him out for long.
“I have also been able to keep him fresh by resting him in certain Europa League games. I think he is the right-back to give us the maximum we can in terms of our attacking football."