Arsene Wenger suggests Arsenal departure timing 'not my decision'
Wenger issues statement later on Wednesday clarifying he was happy for club to decide timing of his departure - just that it was not his decision
By Sky Sports News
Last Updated: 26/04/18 7:31am
Arsene Wenger has suggested the timing of his departure from Arsenal this summer was not his decision.
The 68-year-old announced on Friday that he will call time on his 22-year reign as Arsenal boss at the end of the season.
The Arsenal manager has kept mostly quiet on the issue but gave an ambiguous response when asked about last week's announcement.
"The timing was not really my decision," Wenger said. "For the rest, I have spoken about it already."
When asked if he has found it odd since making the announcement, Wenger added: "At the moment no because I am doing my job, I keep my routine and I am focused on what I have to do.
"You will feel sorry for me when I don't work. But, at the moment I work like ever.
"You are never sure you are doing the right thing but life is interesting because you have to deal with different situations."
However, later on Wednesday Wenger clarified his remarks through the club's Twitter account.
He said: "After reaching agreement about my departure, I was happy for the club to decide when to announce. I wish to make it clear the timing of the announcement was right."
Wenger addressed his future for the first time, revealing that he could take a break from football but will definitely work continue to work.
Wenger has six games left at Arsenal, beginning on Thursday with the Europa League semi-final first-leg at home to Atletico Madrid.