Kieran Trippier charged by FA for allegedly breaching betting rules
Trippier insists he has "at no stage placed any football-related bets or received any financial benefit from others betting"
Last Updated: 02/05/20 8:02am
England international Kieran Trippier has been charged with misconduct by the Football Association for allegedly breaching betting rules.
The charges relate to alleged betting around Trippier's £21.7m transfer from Tottenham to Atletico Madrid in July 2019.
The FA said in a statement: "Kieran Trippier has been charged with misconduct in relation to alleged breaches of The FA's Betting Rules, specifically in relation to Rule E8(1)(a)(ii) and Rule E8(1)(b), during the period of July 2019. He has until 18 May 2020 to provide a response.
"Rule E8(1)(a): a participant shall not bet, either directly or indirectly, or instruct, permit, cause or enable any person to bet on - (i) the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect of, or occurrence in or in connection with, a football match or competition; or (ii) any other matter concerning or related to football anywhere in the world, including, for example and without limitation, the transfer of players, employment of managers, team selection or disciplinary matters.
"Rule E8(1)(b): where a participant provides to any other person any information relating to football which the participant has obtained by virtue of his or her position within the game and which is not publicly available at that time, the participant shall be in breach of this Rule where any of that information is used by that other person for, or in relation to, betting."
Trippier has until May 18 to respond to the charges.
The 29-year-old insists he has never profited from betting on football, or from others doing so on his behalf.
"I have fully complied with the FA's investigation over the past several months on a voluntary basis and will continue to do so," Trippier said.
"I want to make it clear that while a professional footballer, I have at no stage placed any football-related bets or received any financial benefit from others betting."
Daniel Sturridge was fined £75,000 and initially given a six-week ban from football, four of which were suspended, for breaching the FA's gambling regulations last year.
A Regulatory Commission investigation found that the former England international had instructed his brother, Leon, to bet on a possible move by him to La Liga side Sevilla.
That punishment was later upgraded to a four-month worldwide ban from football and a £150,000 fine after the FA appealed because they considered the initial sanctions too lenient.
Sturridge's contract with Turkish side Trabzonspor was subsequently terminated "by mutual consent".