Saido Berahino scrap hots up as Newcastle and Stoke make £21m bids for West Brom striker
By Sky Sports News HQ
Last Updated: 01/02/16 9:52am
Newcastle and Stoke have made £21m bids for Saido Berahino as the race to sign the West Brom striker hots up.
Newcastle's offer for the 22-year-old was understood to be a cash upfront deal for the whole amount and that was then matched, according to Sky sources, by Stoke, although their offer was structured differently.
West Brom maintain Berahino is not for sale and although Newcastle's bid was rejected, Sky sources understand they remain favourites to sign the player before the transfer deadline on Monday evening, with Stoke not confident of doing a deal despite holding extensive talks with Albion.
The Magpies' cash bid for the long-term Tottenham target is potentially a significant detail as West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace criticised Spurs in the summer for proposing staged payments and add-ons.
Berahino reminded potential suitors of his talent with both West Brom's goals in Saturday's drawn FA Cup tie with Peterborough.
Tony Pulis said after the game: "There's two more days to wait. The chairman will make the decisions on the financial matters and that's really what it boils down to.
"I think football-wise, everyone would want to keep Saido here. When you put Saido in front of goal, he's a goalscorer.
"But we need to get him fit because he's not fully fit. Even today [Saturday], he scored two goals, two great goals, he took them fantastically well, but he's not as fit as he should be.
"He accepts that and we certainly know that he's not like he was last year. But having said all that, we could certainly do with him staying - because we'll need his goals. He has that wonderful, wonderful ability to put the ball in the back of the net."
Follow all the deadline-day latest across Sky Sports' platforms on Monday.