Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg set for Southampton medical

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg of Denmark in action against Bulgaria
Image: Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in action for Denmark against Bulgaria last month

Bayern Munich midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg will undergo a medical at Southampton on Monday, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has confirmed.

The 20-year-old, who spent last season on loan at Schalke, is set to become the Saints' second signing of the summer following the arrival of Nathan Redmond from Norwich.

The clubs have agreed a £12.8m transfer fee for Hojbjerg and Bayern chief executive Rummenigge has revealed the player is in England as he looks to complete the move.

"Hojbjerg has gone for a medical at Southampton. The transfer market is open for a while yet," said Rummenigge when asked about potential moves.

Hojbjerg has been with Bayern since 2012 but has had loan spells at Augsburg and Schalke in the past 18 months and now looks poised to leave the Allianz Arena permanently.  

The Denmark international - he has 15 caps - has seen his chances of first-team of football diminish further this summer after Bayern signed Portugal international Renato Sanches for £30m.

And he spoke of his desire to leave the Bundesliga club in an interview with Danish newspaper BT: "I want to leave and find the right place for me. I need to find something that fits me.

Also See:

during the Bundesliga match between FC Schalke 04 and FC Augsburg held at Veltins-Arena on May 7, 2016 in Gelsenkirchen, Germany.
Image: Hojbjerg was loaned to Schalke last season

"It's clear that it won't be a top club. I want a place where there is a perspective. That's important for me because I've experienced a lot at only 20 years."

The move to Southampton was also confirmed by the player's agent on Sunday.

"Yes, I can confirm that Pierre will switch to Southampton," Soren Lerby told Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet.

Around Sky