Full Time After Extra Time This is a live match. Extra Time Half Time

Rotherham United vs Wigan Athletic. Sky Bet Championship.

New York StadiumAttendance9,611.

Rotherham United 1

  • C Robertson (28th minute)

Wigan Athletic 1

  • J Windass (32nd minute)

Rotherham 1-1 Wigan: All square at the New York Stadium

Clark Robertson puts Rotherham ahead but Josh Windass secures point for Wigan.

preview image 1:24
Highlights of the Sky Bet Championship clash between Rotherham and Wigan.

Championship strugglers Rotherham and Wigan had to settle for a point in a 1-1 draw when victory could have done wonders for both sides' confidence.

A point apiece seemed fair in a match which was held up for several minutes following a nasty injury to Wigan skipper and January recruit Danny Fox.

Rotherham, who beat Wigan in the Carabao Cup earlier this season, started the game more positively but no decent chances were created in the opening 20 minutes by either side.

Wigan lost their skipper Fox halfway through the first half after he sustained a head injury during a Rotherham set-piece. He was carried from the field on a stretcher after receiving lengthy treatment from paramedics and the visitors' physios.

Rotherham soon took advantage of Wigan's enforced defensive reshuffle with Clark Robertson rising highest to nod them in front on 28 minutes from Will Vaulks' centre.

Wigan responded swiftly with Josh Windass ghosting his way into the box and firing beyond Marek Rodak into the bottom corner for a 32nd-minute leveller.

Rotherham should really have gone back in front but Michael Smith fired over from just five yards out after Richard Wood had cushioned the ball perfectly into his path.

Also See:

Wigan goalkeeper Jamie Jones then pulled off an acrobatic save to deny Smith's header from crossing the line.

The away side crafted the first big chance of the second half but Joe Mattock pinched in ahead of Anthony Pilkington to deny him a far-post tap-in.

Leon Clarke, quiet in the first half, then forced Rodak into a diving save from Pilkington's centre.

Rotherham used Vaulks' long throw to good effect but Smith's header from one of the midfielder's deliveries was deflected over the crossbar by Kal Naismith.

Cedric Kipre, who had replaced the injured Fox, then headed over from close range following Reece James' free-kick.

Rotherham looked the more likely to snatch a winner with substitute Joe Newell unable to get enough on a header to really trouble Jones.

The Millers then looked to have a strong appeal for a penalty when Wood was brought down in the box but referee Oliver Langford was unmoved.

Rodak still had to be alert at the other end and he clawed away a cross to the far post from Naismith which looked destined for Pilkington.

Chey Dunkley got on the end of James' late free-kick but his flicked header whistled wide of Rodak's goal.

The managers

Paul Warne: "I thought we caused them no end of problems and should have really gone in up at half-time. We haven't not won the game by a lack of effort. People don't go out to miss chances but collectively we have to take them to win games.

"It was a perfect opportunity. Had we won, we could have pulled Wigan back into it, tried to get away from Reading and got closer to Millwall. If we would have taken three points it would have looked great."

Paul Cook: "I think when Rotherham scored there was only going to be one result. Credit to Rotherham, they were nearly unplayable at times in the first half. We could not keep them off us.

"We didn't get a foothold in the game but we scored against the run of play. That's football and you go in at half-time thankful that you're still in the game. A lot of teams would have gone under today."

Play Super 6

Play Super 6

Predict 6 correct scores for your chance to win £250K.

Around Sky