Sheffield United vs Southampton preview
Watch match highlights from 5.15pm on skysports.com and Sky Sports app
Last Updated: 13/09/19 4:29pm
Team news, key stats and predictions ahead of Sheffield United vs Southampton in the Premier League
Sheffield United pair David McGoldrick and Callum Robinson are in a race to be fit for the home game against Southampton. McGoldrick (shoulder) and Robinson (hamstring) both returned early from international duty with the Republic of Ireland this week after their draw against Switzerland. Midfielder John Fleck will also be assessed after missing the last three games due to a hamstring strain, while striker Lys Mousset is pushing for his first
start for the club.
Southampton winger Nathan Redmond misses out again due to the ankle injury that ruled him out of the 1-1 draw with Manchester United on August 31. But Michael Obafemi and Ryan Bertrand, who have been sidelined by cramp and an ankle problem respectively, have been described by boss Ralph Hasenhuttl as "options", and Moussa Djenepo (muscle problem) could be back involved as well. Kevin Danso is suspended following his sending off against the Red Devils.
How to watch
Follow the action with our dedicated live blog. Highlights of the game will be published at 5.15pm on the Sky Sports website and app plus the Sky Sports Football YouTube channel.
- This will be the first Premier League meeting between Sheffield United and Southampton since March 1994, a 0-0 draw at Bramall Lane.
- Southampton have won just one of their last five away league games against Sheffield United (2-1 in September 2007 in the Championship), failing to score in the four they didn't win (D2 L2).
- This is the first meeting between Sheffield United and Southampton in any competition since December 2014, when League One Sheffield United beat Premier League Southampton 1-0 in the League Cup quarter-final.
- Sheffield United have only lost consecutive home Premier League matches once previously, doing so in March 1993 under Dave Bassett.
- Southampton are looking to win consecutive away Premier League matches for the first time since March 2017 under Claude Puel.
- Neither Sheffield United or Southampton have scored in the first half of a Premier League game this season - the Blades have attempted 21 shots and the Saints have had 19 without success in the first 45 minutes of games.
Sheffield United are committed and passionate. Chris Wilder is a man of substance when it comes to his players not doing the job. He does not take fools. He has no loyalty to the players who will not do the job. If you are doing well, you are in the team, and if not then you are not fulfilling the duties that he wants. It is similar to Ralph Hasenhuttl at Southampton, but if Nathan Redmond is not fit on Saturday, I don't think they have enough of a threat up front. There are decent qualities in both teams and Sheffield United will pin them back but it will be close, too close to call.
CHARLIE PREDICTS: 2-2 (14/1 with Sky Bet)
Fantasy Football tip
Sheffield United's overlapping centre-backs have earned acclaim but wing-backs Enda Stevens (£7.4m) and George Baldock (£6.3m) could prove fruitful picks and have each been selected by less than one per cent of Fantasy Football managers. Play Fantasy Football here.