Skip to content
Full Time After Extra Time This is a live match. Extra Time Half Time

Wigan Athletic vs Bournemouth. The FA Cup Third Round.

DW StadiumAttendance4,709.

Wigan Athletic 3

  • S Morsy (9th minute)
  • D Burn (73rd minute)
  • C Elder (76th minute)

Bournemouth 0

    Wigan 3-0 Bournemouth: League One leaders into fourth round

    WIGAN, ENGLAND - JANUARY 17:  Daniel Burn of Wigan celebrates with team mates after scoring his side second goal during The Emirates FA Cup Third Round Rep
    Image: Wigan thumped Bournemouth in their FA Cup third-round replay

    League One leaders Wigan caused another FA Cup upset as the 2013 winners beat Premier League side Bournemouth 3-0 in their third-round replay.

    The Latics, who stunned Manchester City in the final five years ago and then beat the same opposition in the quarter-finals in 2014, led early through Sam Morsy before substitute Dan Burn and defender Callum Elder struck in quick succession in the second period.

    It was Bournemouth that Wigan defeated in a third-round replay when they won the competition and Paul Cook's men, unbeaten in 13, will now entertain West Ham in the fourth round.

    Sam Morsy celebrates his goal with Will Grigg
    Image: Sam Morsy celebrates his goal with Will Grigg

    Five years ago, when these two last played in a third-round FA Cup replay, the Cherries were where Wigan are now, in form and pushing for promotion to the Championship.

    Their 18-game unbeaten run was ended by Wigan's victory in the third round that year and the Latics entered this contest hoping to increase a 12-match sequence without defeat.

    That looked all the more likely when they repeated what they had done in the original meeting and went ahead early.

    Ryan Colclough, who Ryan Fraser failed to dispossess with his attempted tackle, found Will Grigg with a near-post cross and though his flick was kept out by Artur Boruc, Morsy tucked away the rebound.

    Also See:

    Having thrown away a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 on the south coast, Wigan certainly appeared more up for a midweek Cup replay in driving rain against a Cherries side featuring eight changes.

    The visitors were lacking a spark up front and Benik Afobe should have done better with a free header from a Fraser free-kick that Jamie Jones easily snaffled.

    Jones was finally forced into a diving save in the second half when keeping out a low effort from Jones as Eddie Howe's men pushed for a leveller.

    Yet all their chances were falling to an out-of-sorts Afobe, whose miserable night was summed up when he slipped in the box.

    Colclough nearly doubled Wigan's lead with a shot across the box before Jordon Ibe's introduction increased Bournemouth's attacking productivity.

    Afobe and Lys Mousset were both off target with efforts from right-wing crosses and Afobe then missed his best chance, firing wide when put through by Ibe.

    It proved costly as Burn doubled Wigan's lead two minutes after coming on.

    Max Power's cross from the right was aimed for Noel Hunt but bounced all the way through for Burn, who sorted his feet out in time to apply a finish which went in via the crossbar.

    Three minutes later, in the 76th minute, Wigan had put the tie to bed.

    It came from another Power cross, this one hung up deep to the back post where left-back Elder arrived to head back into the far corner of the net.

    Super 6 £1m jackpot
    Super 6 £1m jackpot

    Simply predict six correct scores to win Jeff's £1 million. Enter your selections for free here.

    Around Sky